13.

After a little over a month, Rod decided it was time he took a trip to his "place of business" just to see how things were running without him

Walking into the secluded trap house, Rod scanned the place, noticing everything was how he left it. His workers were responsible, giving him less things to stress about.

"Damn boss, we thought something had happened to you, ain't nobody seen or heard from you in a little minute. Everything good?" One of his workers, Tony asked as he approached him.

"Everything straight round my way." Rod answered before walking into the room where the drugs were bagged and packaged for distribution.

The strong smell of cocaine and weed hit his nose at once. They sold nothing but top quality drugs. Before they ever made deals with connects, they made sure to check everything out first. Workers who were down, could even sample the product, just to make sure it was top of the line.

Everyone who worked under Rod was either family or people he'd grown up with. He didn't trust having just anybody around him. Niggas were sneaky. Over money, your life could be taken from you in the blink of an eye. Jealousy was another huge factor in why Rod just didn't let anybody in. Being the head of the streets, meant a lot of niggas coming at your head about being on top, and he didn't need that kind of energy around.

Honestly, if it were up to him, he trade in constantly having to look over his shoulders, for a more legitimate hustle. He'd always dreamed of opening up his own restaurant, or even a food truck. His mom threw down in the kitchen, and before leaving this earth, she made sure to teach him everything she knew about the kitchen.

"Rod, go to your room baby. Let me and daddy talk." His mom looked at him, but for some reason he didn't want to leave her by herself with this man he once looked at as a father figure.

Rod's mother, Kendra, was seeing a guy named Will, after her and Rod's real dad divorced when he was only 3. The new guy had been around for some years, and he had Rod's approval. She never took a guy seriously if Rod didn't like them first.

Tonight, was different, Will came in the house, smelling like alcohol, and the way he was stumbling made it evident, that he'd consumed more than a little bit.

Rod nervously walked back to his room, leaving his door cracked, because something just didn't seem right.

"Who you been fucking?!" Will's voice boomed through the walls of the small apartment.

"Baby, please, just sleep it off, you're talking crazy." Kendra waved him off. For the past few weeks, Will had been accusing her of sleeping around, when HE was in fact the one coming home at all hours of the night. She was never a cheater, and she didn't plan on starting. She loved Will deeply, and couldn't see herself with another man.

He sent a hard slap to her face, making her fall to the floor. She wiped the spit that dripped on her cheek. He had never put his hands on her before.