A Protective Feeling

Bakugou counted the fourth time Kirishima had sneezed that day and it wasn't even lunch yet. He was worried he might have been coming down with a cold. It would make sense after their weekend getting caught in the rain then not really getting enough sleep during the last couple of nights.

By the end of the day Kirishima felt like hell, his head was heavy and throbbing, his nose was blocked and his body was achy. He just wanted to curl up in bed as he thought of how ironic it was that of all the quirks they had available to them on campus, there wasn't one to help with the common cold.

Bakugou walked back to the dorms with Kiri, he looked like shit, he was sniffing and flushed, but not in the way he liked.

They got to Kirishima's room and he slumped onto the bed. "Come on, let's get you into bed. I'll bring up some soup for dinner," Bakugou said as he dug out some comfortable clothes for Kiri to sleep in.

Bakugou came back with some soup and made sure he ate it all before he tucked him in and told him to get some rest. As he looked down at him, a protective feeling was blooming inside his chest. He wanted to take care of Kirishima, make sure he was ok.

After school the next day, Bakugou went to the drug store. He bought a basket full of things from the cold and flu section and brought the bag with him to Kirishima's room.

He emptied the contents onto the bed and showed him what he had got. He couldn't resist buying the little red stuffed dragon on his way out of the mall for him because it reminded him of Kiri.

Kirishima had laughed when he gave it to him and protested that he was too old for stuffed toys but had hugged it all the same while Bakugou filled him in on what he had missed as they sat in bed, Kiri's head resting on his shoulder.

Bakugou had missed him today. He thought he'd spend lunch alone but Kirishima's friends had insisted he sit at his usual spot at their table.

He had suddenly realised that those idiots thought of him as their friend too. He was even more surprised when he realised he thought of them as his friends as well.

It wasn't like he had a great time or anything, it was still pretty awkward to be honest but they accepted his stoic company and even included him in the conversation from time to time. He didn't have much to contribute, being more of a listening kind of person rather than a talker, but they involved him anyway.

"Whaddaya smilin about?" Kirishima asked sleepily.

"Nothing," he lied, not wanting to be caught smiling about that. "Red, you smell like sick. I'll get us something to eat while you have a shower," he said fondly.

He brought up some ramen and Kirishima ate it as soon as he had pulled on some sweat pants.

Bakugou saw how tired he was looking even though he tried to hide it so he got him tucked into bed and went to his dresser to find a clean shirt.

"Can I wear one of yours? That'll make me feel better," Kirishima mumbled as Bakugou dug around in his draw.

Bakugou chuckled, "Sure, love, let me go grab one." Kirishima was adorable when he was sick. Although, he wore a grumpy frown that said he didn't like being chuckled at.

Bakugou returned a minute later with his black tee with the skull on the front, the one he loved wearing. But Kirishima was already asleep, his dragon hugged under his chin, so he laid it next to his pillow, kissed him on the head and tucked the blanket up around him. He flicked off the light as he left for his own room.

Kirishima woke up sweating and disoriented. He was hot, or was he cold? He couldn't actually tell but he was shivering and sweaty. He rummaged through the bag of things Katsuki had bought for him and found some pain killers. He stumbled into the sink and took a couple with a gulp of water.

As he got back into bed, he found Katsuki's shirt laying on the pillow. Huh, he didn't remember it getting there but it was comforting because it smelled like him. He pulled it over his head and tried to get back to sleep.

After half an hour of tossing and turning he grabbed his phone and winced as the screen lit up, indicating it was 1 am. But he smiled at the text that was there.

'I hope you feel better in the morning. I love you, Red'

Then there was another one 'You're cute when you're sick'

And another 'Fuck, not that I want you to be sick. You're just cute'

He noticed the last one had only come through twenty minutes ago. Maybe Bakugou was still awake.

He sent a message through, trying his luck. 'Hey Kat, are you awake?'

The response was almost immediate 'Yeah, are you ok?'

'Yeah, but I'd feel better if you were here, can you come over?' Kirishima had typed out but he didn't even get a chance to send it before his door opened quietly and Bakugou ducked inside.

"Are you ok?" Bakugou asked quietly, coming quickly over to the bed.

Kirishima felt bad for making him worry even if the concerned tone of his voice was nice to hear.

"Yeah, I'm ok, just a bit feverish I think. Stay with me for a bit?" He asked softly.

Bakugou slid into bed and cuddled up next to him. He smiled when he saw that he was wearing his shirt, the protective feeling coming back.

Kirishima's shivering stared to ease and he relaxed. He rolled into Bakugou and put his head on his chest, breathing in his familiar smell.

"You're my best friend, Katsuki," Kirishima said sleepily.

Bakugou stiffened. His friend? What was that supposed to mean.

Kirishima laughed quietly, "You're obviously my boyfriend but you're my best friend too. How lucky am I?"

"I think I'm the lucky one, Eijirou," Bakugou replied, he laced his hand through Kirishima's and gave it a squeeze.

Bakugou thought Kiri had fallen asleep he'd been quiet for so long but he broke the silence again with a sleepy voice. "I'm your best friend too. I know I'm your only friend so it doesn't really count much but I know I am."

Bakugou laughed softly, sleepy sick Kirishima was savage. "You're right and you are, I love you."

Kirishima continued his feverish rambling. "I still wanna be your best friend when we're old and retired together."

"Maybe we'll have kids too. I want them to have your quirk, it's so manly Kat. You'd be a good dad, you take good care of me."

"I think you're delirious, love. Get some sleep," Bakugou said back but he couldn't wipe the smile off his face if he wanted to.