Twenty Seven

Nord held my hand as we visited his doctor. Didn't exactly help that I had been crying before we got there.

The doctor gave me a check up before finally frowning " Yes... I'm sorry, but it was very early on, so there shouldn't be any... Bleeding or...matter that comes through. I know its...not the news you want to hear right now but miscarriages are very common before 23 weeks. Due to biological factors alone, add stress and health to that and well... Again I am so sorry about your loss. If you are interested... There are some..."

I couldn't hear him any more.
All I could think of... Was all that time I blamed Nord for aborting his baby with Reed... My body had practically done the same...
All this time I'd called him a baby killer.

I mistreated myself during this whole process. How could I be so dumb.
A hand gripped my shoulder as Nord chirped " Light... Dr Leslie asked you a question. Would you like therapy or someone to talk to?"

I shook my head " No therapy... I need to grieve alone... "
His hand firmly tightened on my shoulder and then was gone.

The doctor frowned " No... Of course. I'm sorry. Its your choice, Its your choice. No one can tell you what you need right now Mr White. Your husband should really be the main person you spend time with right now... And maybe spend time with loved ones. And just really... There will be plenty of opportunities in future to try for a baby... And you're... Very young. With some luck and a lot of support... You will soon have a house full of children some day."
I sighed feeling touched by his words " Th.. Thank you..."
I squeezed Nord's hand indicating when I was ready to leave.

The car journey was quiet as I drifted off in my own mind. Nord looked over the leaflets.

When we arrived home I noted the stranger in my Lobby, none other than Maddeus.

He smiled comfortingly.
" Hey Light."

I glared at Nord who was trying to conceal a comforting all knowing smile.
I frowned " You did this didn't you..."

He smiled nodding simply.

" I thought... Maybe a friend would... Know what to say... Since I'm not... Great at working out how to make you happy."

I stared at him silently. Was he serious?
After everything he did for me?
I opened my mouth to argue but closed it when I realised he'd already moved away. Heading off further inside.

Maddeus remained in the entertainment lounge with me as we played cards.

He sighed "Look. You're OK. And that's what's important... If those pregnancy sticks were saying negative that wasn't your fault... It was probably not normal or something..."

He frowned at me " So you were three to four weeks along?"

I sighed " Something like that....apparently being so early... Also meant the pregnancy sticks don't normally detect it..."

He sighed " Oh...Well...shit. How's... How's King Kong take it?"

I glowered at him " Nord is being strong for the both of us. I'd appreciate it... If you didn't call him that right now. "
His eyes widened at me and I quickly looked down at my hand.. A straight Flush.
Looking good.
He scoffed sounding shocked" You're really warming up to him..."

I nodded mostly to myself.
He was mine. I'd said it before. He was my husband to get possessive and jealous about. My husband to worry about and look after. My husband to make smile and spend time with.

He chuckled " I heard you went to the Gents Grey Bar. How was that?"

I forgot about that... Carlen's grounds.