Prologue

The day was pretty well for Jeongyeon

She was early to classes, created good impressions on teachers, exchanged numbers with friends she made in a few minutes, and hopefully thought of finding a guy within the college premises to date by the end of the year.

Life was being good with her.

She had moved to Seoul for obtaining her education, achieving the dream she had dreamt since childhood and, conveniently, got a flat in a neighbourhood right before getting admission in the university.

But it felt like life was not always good with her.

Because — exactly one week after she started college — while walking home alone in the neighbourhood with audible footsteps behind her, she couldn't help but clutch the straps of her bag in fear.

There was nothing to be afraid of, actually, since the sun didn't set completely, the streets were full of roaming people, there was little to no chance that someone would kidnap her in broad daylight, and she'd learnt karate. 

What she actually dreaded was the fact that once she gets stalked, the kidnappers would know that she's living alone in a foreign city, with no one to return to for help, and it will be easier for them to come whenever they found it convenient and would pick her unaware body and go.

She'd fight back two, or three, in the least bit, but what if there's a whole gang that wants to pick pretty girls up and expand their illegal business with it?

Jeongyeon shook her head to brush off the horrible thoughts, but it did nothing to lessen her panic.

She continued to stride faster, afraid that the stalker might make a big move if he finds out that she knows and is trying to run away.

Why is my house suddenly so far?

The footsteps continued to trail behind. They were fast-paced, just like Jeongyeon's.

Despite shaking with fear, she mustered up her fragments of courage to turn and look back to catch a glimpse of the stalker. 

She did, and she wished she didn't.

It really was a creepy stalker. The guy was wearing dark clothes enough to make him look suspicious. He wore blue sneakers. The hood of his jacket was on, covering his head, and he looked down, so his face was completely hidden. He had his hands stuffed into his pocket and he was walking like he was getting chased.

Jeongyeon turned back to the front, her heart racing faster. She started sweating, and she knew for sure that that wasn't because of the heat. 

Suddenly, among the various horrid thoughts, an idea popped into her mind. She quickly implemented it.

She extracted her phone from her pants pocket and put on her ringtone. She kept it ringing for a few seconds before she paused it, placed the device against her ear and started speaking randomly. 

This always worked. The kidnappers would stop chasing or would at least postpone their plan of kidnapping because they knew that their victims when attacked, could ask for help to the ones they're talking to through their phones. Her aunt told her this, but she never knew she'd have to to do this in her life.

She twirled her head back to check, and she shuddered to see that the person was still following her. 

She wanted to do something more, but her apartment was in her sight. She let out a relieved breath and strode faster, still blabbering words — which she hoped made sense — on the phone. 

She entered the gate and climbed the stairs, breathing heavily, thinking she was safe now.

But life was absolutely not being good with her.

Her eyes widened when she caught a glance of the stalker boy, who was climbing two steps at once with loud thumps, and he was faster than earlier.

Jeongyeon's mind wasn't working. She thought that if she went to her apartment, it would get very easy for the stalker to find her and come again.

But right now, she didn't give a shit.

She quickly trudged up the stairs, climbing two steps at once as well, gripping onto the railing for support, breathing heavily. That was when she heard a few pings and a door opening and closing loudly. 

The footsteps stopped. She looked behind her. Nothing. She peeked over the railing of the staircase. No sign of the stalker. 

She quickly put her code in and dashed inside her house, locking the door behind her. 

She panted as she leaned against the door, letting her bag fall by her side. 

What a fucking day.

• • •

a/n

hi! hope this was good enough (might seem boring in the start but i promise it'll get better!) pls anticipate more uwu