18. Childhood Reappeared

Jeongyeon slowly started to dislike her friends Jungkook and Yeri. They were being annoying when they were secretive and hesitant. She felt like she was being made fun of, and they were just fooling around with her.

She had a hunch that they told each other about what she had planned. Making foolproof plans for both the parties was difficult enough, but now that they were being all fidgety around her for no apparent reason, she felt demotivated to do all of that. She did this for her own fun; she would've just went up to one of them and told them to get close to the other, but to take her mind off her studies and constant fatigue, she thought playing a game was nice. And it wasn't feeling nice anymore.

Forget it, she thought. I don't want this anymore. She decided that the next time she saw one of them, she would blow it off right then and there.

But she had to deal with the matter at hand first.

Slinging her bag over her shoulder, she trudged down the stairs, not forgetting to slightly steal a peek near the end of the corridor of the sixth floor - as expected, no one was there - and she skipped down till she reached Mr Ahn's house.

She first rang the bell, then knocked on the door and waited, looking around in the meantime. However, something she didn't expect showed. Looking down at the ground, her eyes widened in dread to see Jimin's sneakers splayed across the floor.

Is it...?

She was afraid her theory, which she had shaken off considering it absurd, would come true.

Did Mr Ahn really trick her? Did Jimin and Mr Ahn really team up to rip off her wallet as she had assumed a few months ago?

Sweating already, she knocked once again, and this time there were a few noises she carefully listened to. First, a "coming!" Then "Jimin, open the door for me, will you?" And then a loud, lazy groan, and later shuffling of feet.

The door finally opened, revealing a tired Jimin, having messed up hair and dressed in casuals. "Oh, it's you."

"Hello to you too," Jeongyeon shot, having it real hard to conceal her frustration. "What are you doing here?"

He ignored her question and instead said, "Get in." He moved from the way, left the door ajar and walked back to the couch to plop on it and scroll on his smartphone.

Jeongyeon closed the door behind her and looked around for Mr Ahn. Considering her awesome observational skills, she'd find in a second whether he was tricking her or not, just by looking at his expression.

"Who's it?" Mr Ahn asked as he wiped his hands on his apron and looked up. Unexpectedly, his expression turned into one of happiness. "Ms Yoo! What an unexpected visit! Please sit!"