30. Nice Offers

Jeongyeon was aggressively shoving her books and files in her bag when she noticed a presence beside her. Still looking down, she subconsciously moved backwards to give the person a path to pass by, but the presence lingered. She lifted up her head, only to widen her eyes when she recognized the person.

Taehyung smirked down at her. "Why are you so surprised?" he piped, leaning against a desk. "We see each other every day."

Jeongyeon tried not to grit her teeth. "I was just surprised at the fact that I couldn't recognize you like I used to. Remember?"

Even when she was in a rush to get out, she didn't fail to notice the way his face hardened for a second before it came back to his usual flitting smile.

"Anyways," he changed the topic. "I want to talk to you."

"I'm extremely sorry," she said, double-checking if she left anything. "But I have to leave early today. Someone's waiting for me."

"That someone can wait," Taehyung retorted, much as she expected. There was no way he would let her go just because she asked for it.

"But I can't." She swung her bag over her shoulder. "My apologies, but I will leave."

She started to walk past, but Taehyung stepped in front of her. A few people behind them gasped. Jeongyeon looked up at him. 

Taehyung's shiny eyes bore through hers. "This is not about us... if that's what you're worried about," he whispered, leaning a little closer so that he was audible only to her. 

Jeongyeon's breath hitched. She discreetly glanced at the people around, only to see their attention on them. Some looked away, some kept staring with raised eyebrows and widened eyes. She could already see gossip brewing. 

"You're gathering attention," she said instead, gritting her teeth right after. She had managed to stay away from rumours for most of the first year, she wasn't going to give it up. 

Taehyung didn't budge. "And to not waste my efforts of keeping you out of it till now, come with me." His eyes never looked away from hers.

She heard whispers around her and felt eyes staring at her and him. She was going to fall into the trap she predicted she inevitably would. 

So to stop that, she only did what any sane person who didn't want attention would do. "Fine," she answered. She stepped backwards, finally away from Taehyung's minty breath, but not from his eyes that were continuously staring at her. 

"Good choice," he said in a tone that could only have been either utterly friendly or utterly hateful. Jeongyeon didn't know what to settle for.

She clutched the bag strap tighter and followed closely behind Taehyung. She avoided eye contact with everyone she passed, and to do that, she had to stare at something. She settled for Taehyung's lanky back. He practically towered over her.