33. Runner Up

Jeongyeon was enjoying a nice week so far

Not that the week was actually nice: the assignments and mock tests never seemed to end, the soccer practices were getting harder, classmates pestered her, professors pressured her.

But Jeongyeon knew better and saw the best side of it.

Taehyung stopped bothering her.

That was it.

That was the best part.

She was clueless about how it happened, but when during the lessons, she realised that Taehyung's inhibitions reduced from the teasing notions down to only staring. She didn't know what happened to him to bring such a drastic change in his behaviour, but she was very happy with it.

She was even happier when she saw Taehyung giving his attention to the girl she saw him kiss in Yeri's party. She recognised her later, only today. She didn't know how it happened or anything related to it, but because she had brains and was also familiar with Taehyung, she realised that he was bothering Jeongyeon during the college hours so that he could make the girl jealous.

Jeongyeon would know who that girl was if she'd paid a little attention to the gossip and rumours that flowed around in the campus. But she realised she was neither curious nor interested. She was simply happy that Taehyung got over her as she got over him and was going to a new phase. Even if that meant teasing the shit out of the girl he likes.

She hoped Taehyung and her ended up happy and not like them.

"What, are you smiling because you're thinking how much you hate soccer?"

Jeongyeon came into the present with Jimin's voice that sounded so close to her, both figuratively and literally.

She whipped her head to the side to see him standing by her. He was not far. Usually, they stood and walked with so much space between themselves that a thin person could fit between them but now their shoulders were touching.

"No, I'm just thinking about how the weather is so nice."

This was also another thing, happening quickly within almost two weeks.

Jimin was getting more compassionate with her.

He stopped high-key bickering with her, and whenever she tried to bicker with him in response to not make matters awkward, he only stared at her. Which actually did make matters awkward because she always became speechless under his gaze and didn't know what to say to bring back the normal atmosphere.

"You're stupid," he muttered under his breath. If he'd been saying that all this while they walked together, she wouldn't be able to hear it because of the distance. But now, it was crystal clear.

"What makes you say that? The fact that I'm acing exams?" she fired back, looking ahead because she didn't want to look into his eyes. She'd probably walk into a pole if she'd do that.