38. Totally Screwed

Jeongyeon reached the vacant bleachers just before Ayuri blew the whistle for break time

She sighed as she clutched her forehead, elbows digging in her thighs. Her head throbbed from lack of sleep, and the incessant cheers and whistles had only made it worse.

Where did it all go wrong?

She didn't have to think twice; it was Jimin. Everything had gone wrong because of him. 

Contrary to the peachy time she had three days ago, the events that followed were ridiculous. Firstly, despite being tired that night, Jeongyeon couldn't get a wink of sleep. Her adrenaline rush kept her awake the entire time.

Eventually, the morning started rough. She waited for Jimin in the corridor, only to find out through Jungkook that he was taking the day off. Initially, Jeongyeon got worried a bit, her instinct was sure that the previous night had something to do with his absence.

The first day she was amused. She prided herself for making a man feel flustered and shy to the point he locked himself up to not confront her. It was something she always wanted to do, and she felt victorious when she accomplished it.

It's just that she had no idea how badly that would backfire.

When he did walk with her the other day, he had been awfully speechless and unresponsive throughout the entire route.

Usually, the silence wasn't a burden in his presence, but Jimin just had to make things awkward. She still vividly remembered his stiff body posture and expressionless face, ignoring her. It was as if he was the same from the first days they met and she just had a dream about all that.

She tried talking to him, she really did. But whenever she addressed him, he'd blush furiously and turn away, completely disregarding her. That added fuel to her confidence.

But after that, Jimin didn't talk to her.

At all. 

He started behaving aloofly. She kept giving him attention, but the more she regarded him, the more he ignored her.

For the next days, he left for college earlier, avoiding the walk with her. To respect his privacy, she didn't pry even when he didn't show up at the store. She didn't know how to feel. It was as if he was over her. She was confused at first, but as the days passed she was just plain hurt.

She was very close to asking him if that night even happened or not, but decided against it. With Jimin, Jeongyeon never knew how to act. His impulsive and bipolar behaviour always kept her at the edge. 

And whereas sometimes it was exciting, sometimes it was frustrating. Today was one such day. 

"You look tired."

She jerked, lifted her head to see none other than Taehyung. He was wearing a sleeveless tank top, knee-length shorts and a bandana around his forehead. Of course, Taehyung's look would be otherwise incomplete without his cocky grin.