31. Deliberate Mistake

Twice already Jeongyeon had descended the stairs so that she could meet Jimin

Twice already Jeongyeon had descended the stairs so that she could meet Jimin. Previously, Jimin had already left for the store, but this time, the door swung open right as she stood in front of it to knock.

Her hand was still in the air, poised to knock when Jimin turned back to look, probably checking if he missed anything, and when he turned, he gasped as he looked at her.

Jeongyeon put down her hand. She didn't expect him to open the door so quickly, much less give an unmasked reaction.

Teasing nerve.

"Like what you see?" She smirked.

Sure enough, his cheeks turned pink - she noticed it carefully and wanted to engrave it in her brain - but he rolled his eyes right after. "Shut up. We're getting late."

"No, we're not. Am I looking good?" She tilted her head to the side.

Jimin again rolled his eyes and started walking past her. She quickly caught up to him. "Am I?"

"No, you look like Annabelle. I got freaked out by seeing you first thing in the morning."

"Come on," Jeongyeon whined. "Just go ahead and tell the truth. You were surprised at my natural beauty back there."

Jimin clicked his tongue.

"After all, I wasn't even that dolled up."

She expected Jimin to roll his eyes or shrug or playfully pass another remark. But he simply turned to her, looked down at her and smirked.

She grinned back too. This was the cool thing about smart boys. They throw snide remarks at you, but they also understand all the witty puns and hidden jokes you want to crack without you explaining them, which normally friends overlook more often than not.

It only happened with Jimin till now, though.

And damn, was that attractive.

They both walked down the stairs together. Jimin once looked at the rear road, where he walked some mornings as Jeongyeon saw. He didn't say anything about it. And she didn't probe him.

• • •

The walk to college had never been so amazing before her. Jeongyeon made sure she was early today, and she doubted if Jimin was always too.

"Are you usually this early?"

He gave her one glance. "What are you going to do if I say no?"

She planned she was going to tease him. She was prepared to tease him, but she preferred his opening up to her over the satisfaction she got from teasing him. So she changed her mind. "Nothing," she shrugged. "You know you can tell me anything."

His gaze stayed on her for a long moment before he looked away and sighed. "Normally I'm not. I woke up earlier today because I didn't want to keep you waiting."