Chapter 1: The Flow

A/N: The very first chapter. And its a River perspective on the first day of senior year! Its been a while since I've revisited this archetype and i'm usually bad with starting things off. But I think I've improved~! I also hope you enjoy this hand curated soundtrack of songs that fit this retro aesthetic the story will carry with it!

************

River's pov:

     The first day of school, something that was a dual edged sword to me. I wanted to learn new things. And I was really looking forward to photography club after school today. But I didn't like the idea potentially running into my tormentors. And being the sheriff's son didn't help as one would think it could.

"Hey baby." A familiar voice greeted, something I was hoping to hear soon. Roaming the halls alone was getting a little odd without my best friend.

"I'm not a baby." I replied, wondering what his reasoning before calling me an infant when I was almost out of my adolescence; aside from teasing.

"Literal as always. What class do you have first today?" He replied in a smooth manner, like melted butter smooth.

     Joshua had been my best friend since first grade when his family moved to this town. He looked out for me since I was always that awkward kid no one seemed to like. And I tried my best to look out for him over the years. One of the few people I was looking forward to seeing. That and my crush since middle school.

"Chemistry. I have the teacher with caterpillar eyebrows. She's nice though." I shrugged.

"Want me to walk with you to class? I can do that." Joshua asked, running a hand through his messy hair, looking as if he woke up late.

"I think I'll be okay." I assured my best friend, giving him a smile despite how nervous I felt deep down.

"Uhhh, okay man." Joshua replied, waving before he disappeared into the crowd of people.

     I found my way to class with ease, I knew this building well so I made a few assumptions that turned out to be correct. The class was pretty big this year. I think there was something about being understaffed when it came to teachers. So classes were slowly filling up more and more as years went by.

"Hello Mr. River." A voice greeted from behind me, scaring me a little out of my thoughts.

     I guess my surprise was a little evident as the woman with the caterpillar eyebrows apologized. My dad and I met her during a meeting before school started like I did with all of my teachers this year.

"You did scare me a little, but I'll live." I assured her with a smile.

"Okay well you're free to talk with people for a while until I know everyone gets here." She smiled. I looked around the class, spotting someone that made my heart skip a beat in my chest. He was the guy I'd been too afraid to approach. I didn't know his name which was ironic. But he was literally the prettiest boy I'd ever seen. I knew he was popular and likely out of my league.

      But nonetheless I approached him after a little thought to say hi and see his smile up close. New experiences is something my therapist told me to seek this school year. As I drew near I realized he wasn't the one speaking, his mouth covered in modesty as he silently laughed at the girl telling him what sounded like jokes.

"H-hello." I greeted, hoping the boy would answer me.

"How's it going?" The girl greeted, extending a hand out to me. I took it, shaking it gently. I was more so interested in the boy beside her; even though they were both just as pretty.

    I turned to the boy, greeting him warmly, extending my hand out to him; all the while my heart was hammering. The girl beside him seemed to grow tense. The boy's mouth opened in a silent sigh. He picked up a notebook from the desk behind him alongside a pencil.