Chapter 20: Unbothered

A/N: We catch up with River literally the next day. Our boys got really close to their first adventure in the sheets last chapter. I honestly don't feel comfortably writing super steamy things between people so young. Sure i'm 21 at the time of writing this story. It still feels weird lol. Nonetheless I shall not disappoint in the sequel!

****************

River:

       I approached the Maddox residence, ringing the doorbell as I stood under the porch light of their home. I was waiting, honestly nervous about coming to have dinner with Wyatt and his family. Though who opened the door was a less familiar face. It was Wyatt's best friend Cruz. The man was like a living statue; expressing little to nothing externally. I couldn't help but gulp nervously as his dark brown eyes practically seared into me.

"Is that River?" I heard Wyatt's voice call from further inside the house.

"Yes puchito." Cruz said casually, not once breaking eye contact with me.

      He stepped aside to let me in. Though before we made our way to the dining room he caught me by the back of my jacket, roughly dragging me behind him into the garage after he closed the door. My heart was racing. Was he mad that I was dating Wyatt? I hoped I didn't screw up or something. He forced me up against the garage door, surprising me that such a compact man could be so strong.

"P-please don't hurt me." I pleaded, shutting my eyes tightly.

"You wouldn't happen to know what happened to puchito would you?" Cruz growled, having me afraid to meet his gaze as my body froze up.

"I-I-I-..." I stammered, being terrified of just what would be done to me in this moment. I knew so little about this man that I never wanted to push him.

"Do you?" He growled, slamming my back into the garage door roughly.

"Y-yes." I admitted as his grip on me loosed; his hands letting go of my jacket.

"Who is it? If you love him you'd tell me." He said, his tense tone telling me he wasn't afraid of roughing me up more. I loved Wyatt more than he knew. Cruz seemed to as well. I risked a glance, seeing a fire burning in his eyes, his jaw clenched as his fists balled at his sides.

"Mr. Green." I blurted, his eyes flickering with an understanding before a ghostly smile tugged onto his face. He reached up, dusting me off gently.

"Good boy. Thank you." Cruz said softly; almost teasingly.

      He turned to leave as I stood there frozen. Though before heading back into the house he looked over his shoulder at me.

"Break his heart and i'll break your face." He said, his tone icy despite the smile he shot me.

      I was shaken, and in shock to say the least. So much for making a good impression. And then it sunk in. I broke a promise I made to Wyatt just yesterday. All because I was scared. It was humiliating and had me muttering curses at myself in my head. I heaved a sigh, heading back inside and to the dining room where a full table awaited me. The spot beside Wyatt was empty and feeling as if I should walk on eggshells settled in as I looked to Cruz. He met my gaze, unbothered as I awkwardly sat beside Wyatt.

"So. What do you have to offer puchito? What are your aspirations." Cruz suddenly asked as dinner has started. Wyatt's family seemed to steer clear of Cruz in this moment; wearing looks of amusement.

"Cruz." Wyatt huffed, fixing the unflinching man with a firm stare.

"I-its okay Wyatt." I stammered, straightening my back. I didn't want him thinking he could walk all over me. I had enough of that at school.