Chapter 23: One Last Time

A/N: I've been an emotional wreck over these characters. Sure we'd just seen a snapshot of their lives and experiences. But I personally have loved every single last awkward bit of their attempt at love. And I hope you all have too! There will be one more chapter after this with teasers for the sequel. So be on the lookout for that!

*******************

Wyatt:

"You look fine kiddo." My father assured me as I adjusted my bowtie for what felt like the millionth time tonight.

"You don't understand. This is a big deal to me this time." I told him, rolling my eyes at his chuckle as he rummaged through his pockets.

"Remember to use this." My father told me, my eyes landing on a small golden square of foil that I recognized as a condom. I instantly felt my cheeks heat up and heart hammer in my chest.

"Dad." I groaned in complaint, taking it from him quickly. He however was humored, eyes twinkling how I was told mine would.

"I want you safe in more ways than one. A teacher of yours lost his life just this morning out on the road. So you and your date need to stay together at all times. And be responsible." My father explained; reminding me of my talks of safety with Aaron and Sherri.

       My gaze dropped as the news we'd heard this morning played over the intercom and was already in the town paper. Mr. Green was found in the treeline of a road. He'd apparently not worn his seatbelt and was ejected from his car through the windshield. Since I hadn't revealed what he'd done to me to my father I just pretended to be sad. Even though deep down I felt a sense of relief to not have to look over my shoulder.

     Though details of his death seemed really convenient. And with Cruz disappearing early this morning I knew he'd had something to do with it. But that was the least of my worries right now. Just as my father was about to say something more the doorbell rang.

"That's probably my beanstalk." I told my father, pecking him on the cheek and giving him a hug.

"Alright, alright. Have fun and be safe." My father said to me.

"Love you too." I told him with a chuckle as I headed for the door.

      Opening it revealed a rather dapper looking River, looking good in his tux.

"You've learned a lot about style from me." I grinned.

"Y-yeah." He stammered, holding out his hand for me to take.

      As we headed down to his car I got up on my toes as we walked to our ride to give him a kiss on the cheek. River being more refined than he gave himself credit for, rubbed small and rather soothing circles on the back of my hand that was linked in mine. His aged 60s mustang was cleaned up to the best of its abilities; what bits of paint still shined were buffed to perfection. He released my hand, the chill of the night air hitting my palm as I expected what he was in the act of doing. He opened the passenger side door for me, waiting for me to slip inside. We were running a bit late. Sherri and Sam left ahead of us to the formal. River climbed into the car beside me, sporting his signature nervous smile.

"I'm all yours tiger." I crooned softly, my tone teasing as he started up his car.

      He seemed nervous and rigid the entire ride there. Then again I was nervous too. Sure we'd been on dates but we'd never done something intimate like a formal dance. He pulled into the gym's parkinglot, gently stopping my hand when I went for my seatbelt.

"I'll get it." He told me, slipping out of the car and strolling over to my side of the car. He opened my door, offering his arm for me to take. I hooked mine with his, stepping out of the car as we walked arm in arm towards the gym.