Chapter 18: Lover

A/N: Hi guys, we're back! If you caught that reference congratulations. I would give a cookie but that's a logistical mess. So to make up for that here's a chapter!

***************

River:

"I-I can drive us to school in my car." I offered Wyatt who was fretting over his kid brother Aaron as we prepared for school.

"Are you sure?" Wyatt asked, his brows knitting up in confusion as I got distracted by Sherri joining us.

     Normally her outfits were stylish. But she looked comfortable. Not like that made her look bad. It just contrasted what she usual.

"I know. I'm pretty as fuck." Sherri teased when she caught me staring, doing a little spin.

     Wyatt and his sister shared a look I didn't quite understand. Though they seemed to have communicated a lot.

"Should I go and get my car?" I asked, Aaron fixing me with that inquisitive gaze of his.

"We can just head there together. Aaron needs a bit of a walk to wake up so he doesn't sleep in class." Wyatt grinned, ruffling his brother's hair.

     Collecting last second things we headed out into the chilly morning air. Fall was all but here; coming earlier to our town than many other places. Hopefully my car started today or we'd all be walking. I found butterflies fluttering in my stomach as we crossed the street over towards my house. My dad wasn't home, making me wonder if I needed to walk Marley first. Though walking around to the driver's side of my car I saw a note tucked under the windshield wiper.

"Marls had her walk! Love you kid." The note read.

      I pulled myself out of my stupor, opening the passenger side door of my mustang for the Maddox siblings.

"So positively retro. I love this car." Wyatt said teasingly, tacking on an obnoxious English accent.

"T-thanks." I stammered as Aaron cleared his throat. That kid was a future mastermind in the making.

     I climbed into the driver's side, praying as I turned the key in the ignition. A sigh of relief washed over me as the throaty v8 rumbled to life. I backed out when I was sure everyone had their seatbelts on. The old mustang seemed to be having a good day as I cruised us through town towards the middle school. Aaron was a pretty independent kid. Despite Wyatt filling the role their mother left empty they all had this self sufficiency I could only dream of having.

"Drop off line is long. Cya." Aaron told me as I caught on. I put the car in park, Wyatt letting his brother out.

"I don't have practice today. But I do have that peer meeting. Either me or Sherri will come and pick you up." Wyatt told his brother as they stood beside my car that was still managing a smooth idle.

"I have a cellphone." Aaron complained as Wyatt pulled him into a tight hug, exchanging an 'I love you' with his kid brother.

     Wyatt slipped into the car closing his door as I pulled off when we saw Aaron make it into the school.

"Seeing as i'll be studying abroad I won't be able to leave school for a few hours after." Sherri explained.

"Dad doesn't want us out alone. Did you have anyone to go home with?" Wyatt asked, turning back to look at his sister as we entered our school parkinglot.

"Sam basically lives at our house. So i'm using her company." Sherri informed him as Wyatt and her climbed out.

"Okay. Well i'll get Aaron." Wyatt told her before she left with a flamboyant wave.