Chapter 11: Teenage Blue

A/N: We catch up with Wyatt on the weekend. I'll be letting some dust settle before stirring things up again. Something sweet. Something a little bit awkward. But somewhat realistic! Cringe with me loves!

************

Wyatt:

"Are you sure you're okay to be out and about again?" My father fretted for the millionth time as he was dropping me off at the theater.

      River had popped the question of seeing a movie as a date. We'd planned on spending our Saturday together. I just wanted things to feel normal again. And this would help.

"Yes dad." I replied, offering him a weak smile.

"Do you want me to call out early and pick you up later tonight?" He asked, sounding worried as expected.

"River said he's walking me home. If he can't i'll wait where ever I am for you." I soothed, offering him a hug before I stepped out of the car.

      I'd put some effort into looking good today. I was dressed comfortably yet casually. I waited in the lobby of the theater for my date, anxious. I hadn't been out in public on my own since the incident. It was still so fresh that I found myself fidgety. I was snapped out of my dark thoughts when i'd heard a familiar voice.

"Excuse me." River said politely as he wove through the bustling crowd of our peers who were here to see a knew action hero movie. 

      He perked up when he saw me, a sheepish grin on his lips.

"I'm still kind of in disbelief that someone pretty as you likes me." He commented. River wasn't unattractive really. He was a little awkward. But it added this adorable charm to the beanstalk that was him.

      I was dressed rather plainly. But more dressed up than i'd been in a few days. I was wearing a white long sleeve NASA shirt. And a pair of light pink shorts that stopped just above mid thigh for me. I wanted to speak but I felt my voice lock up in my throat. I instead opted to shoot him one of my signature winks.

"So what movie did you want to see?" He asked, readying his wallet.

     He took advantage of my not wanting to speak when it came to paying for things. Even though i'd like to pay for this date I didn't have a way to easily voice that. I shrugged, already thinking of ways to treat him to something today.

"I kind of always wanted to watch Finding Dory." He meekly grinned, pointing over at the movie poster advertising that it was back in theaters for a limited time.

      It was a kids movie yes. But I found myself curious too.

"Okay." I said simply, seeming to catch him by surprise. It took some effort on my part and luckily no one noticed.

      We'd walked up to the counter where I just agreed to let River do the talking.

"Two tickets for Finding Dory please." He'd said right as I zoned out, my thoughts going along that trail. The more I thought about it the more little details I remembered.

      It was as if he was saving me over and over today so far when he'd tapped my shoulder.

"Popcorn?" He asked.

      I thought about something I hadn't given attention since the incident. I should be watching what I ate to stay in good shape for cross country. But I didn't even know if that was something I wanted anymore. One more day of bad eating couldn't be too bad could it? I nodded yes as he actually got us drinks too, causing me to internally wince as I knew things from theaters to be expensive. He handed me a drink, as we'd headed to the screen we'd be watching the movie on. The room was dark and honestly kind of cold. I don't know how i'd forgotten to bring a jacket as theaters were typically freezing. And the cold drink in my bare hands didn't make things easier.