Chapter 21: Sweet Marie

A/N: I realize this town seems confusing in its timeline. It has a lot of retro aspects. As well as modern things. To clarify it is indeed present day. I'm just a sucker for retro things and also that warm and fuzzy atmosphere they can give off. Honestly this chapter is an apology in advance for what's to come. We catch up with Wyatt on the day of the date.

*****************

Wyatt:

        I pulled to a stop in front of River's house, gathering up the flowers I'd gotten him. It was a both a kind gesture and a joke as he got me flowers as well for our last date. I got out of the car, walking up to his door as I looked up at the slowly setting sun. After a while he came to the door trying to contain an excited Marley.

"H-hey. You look..." He began, his voice trailing off as he so obviously got lost in thought as he always seemed to do.

     I gave him a teasing spin, turning back to face him with a small smile.

"So good." He finished as I handed him his flowers with a wink.

"Thank you." I said simply.

"Uhh...Let me just put these in a vase." He said, a blush spreading across his face as I followed him into the house.

      Sheriff Moore always seemed to be busy at work. Then again he had a station and a town to over watch. I watched River intently, as he stiffly moved about the kitchen with Marley on his heels. It was flattering I still had this affect on him after all this time. It was honestly a little better than him thinking I was some damsel in distress. At school yesterday he practically shadowed me; even texting me during class to ensure I was okay.

      I didn't know what I was going to do about my current situation. So I tried my best to ignore it and remain strong. Mr. Green hadn't tried violating my personal space as of late; likely because I would fight back. Cruz would definitely kill him if he knew who assaulted me. It wasn't an easy task to juggle.

"I'm ready." River said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

      I extended out my arm for him, hooking it around mine as I lead him outside. Being someone with a sense of humor I made it an effort to open his door, slipping into the car beside him.

"So I have a gift. I did some digging on this bracelet you got me and gosh it was expensive." I explained, feeling nervous this time as my mouth dried up and my heart hammered in my chest.

       River looked to me expectantly, looking a little sheepish with a nervous smile. I reached over him into the glove box to pull out a small black velour box. I opened it, revealing a necklace in a style i'd wear; a string-thin golden chain and a sunflower charm. This piece of jewelry came in two forms. One with the cheesy slot for a picture. And the other split the flower in half to reveal small coin that read 'Always warm'. I opted for the less cheesy option. River quite literally produced and audible gulp.

"Do you like it? I never took you as the jewelry type." I rambled, my shaky hands fumbling with the box.

"I love it Wy-Wy." He grinned, resting a hand over my trembling ones, calming me instantly as I let out a heavy breath.

      I helped him get it on, feeling that warm and fuzzy feeling I loved forming in my chest.

"You didn't have to get me anything." He stammered, twiddling his thumbs.

"You didn't have to get me this either." I grinned, raising my wrist; the little gold whale charm dangling and adding all the extra emphasis I'd needed.

"Y-yeah." He chuckled.

"And you're my friendly beanstalk that lets me climb him like a koala." I teased as I pulled off from his house.