Chapter 13: Apollo

A/N: We'll be spending time with Wyatt in this chapter as he fights for a sense or normality after his previous ordeal. If you look close enough, Wyatt and River both want the same thing. Though both are going about it in different ways. A bit of warning. There will be some "action" of the sexual nature. Our boys are 18 but I still feel uncomfortable.

***************

Wyatt:

My sister and I made our way through the school doors. I woke up feeling relatively grouchy this morning. Though I did my best to ensure not much made it through to the surface. I was about to part ways with my sister as she was probably headed off to find her best friend Sam until she caught me by the shoulder.

"Will you be alright on your own today?" She asked, having picked up on my mood early.

I didn't want to be coddled; having had enough of that over the past few days. So I gave her a reassuring nod. I was nervous to be on my own. The one time I went to practice I was a nervous wreck the whole time. So much so that my coach told me to take the day off after I was 45 minutes in. I felt like I was crumbling apart at the seams. My sister gave me a tight hug, making her way through the crowd. Perhaps River was near his locker? He always managed to make me feel better.

I made my way through the halls to my locker, grimacing at the well-wishes and little gifts laid before it or stuck on it. They acted as if I died and it quickly got under my skin. I took a deep breath, scooping up the small teddy bear and flowers with a card, tucking them into my locker as I collected my books I'd need for first period. I felt myself internally cringing at the forlorn and pity ridden looks i'd gotten as I made my way down the halls. It made my skin crawl as those little nagging thoughts that called me dirty or impure came back. And then I saw him, fidgeting as he went through his locker. I found it odd that Joshua wasn't with him as they were always together during school hours. I tapped him on the shoulder, catching his attention.

I didn't waste anytime burying my face in his chest as I hugged him; not even caring about what looks we might have gotten. I heard him wince and stiffen in my embrace, causing me to pull away as instant hurt bubbled up. Though it was forced back down when I saw his eyes looked red as if he'd finished crying. My pain was replaced by worry as I took his hand in mine. I knew he was lying to me when he said Braden and his idiots didn't hurt him anymore. I just hoped he'd told me. I led him to a bathroom, leaving him fidgeting with his shirt as I check the stalls before jogging over to the door to close and lock it. I caught him by the hand again as he began sobbing again softly, trying to not look at me.

I set my gym bag down against the wall, sitting on it and pulling him to sit beside me. I didn't know exactly what to do until I was reminded of when Sherri or Aaron would have days where the pain of losing mom came back. I pulled his head to my chest, resting his ear over my heart as I just held onto the sobbing boy in my arms.

"Tell me what's wrong?" I asked softly as he wiped at his eyes.

"Am I a freak?" He asked, the warning bell ringing. I had more pressing issues.

"No River. You aren't." I assured him, running my hands through his hair.

"I've always been weird. I just want to be seen as normal just like everyone else." He went on, sounding angered.

"I like who you are beanstalk." I chuckled softly as he looked up at me.

"I sometimes think you're pulling a prank on me." He huffed, eyes robbed of that warm light they held often.

"I wonder if you think i'm dirty. Or a whore." I replied honestly, seeing his gaze flit back up to meet mine.

"I just don't want to hurt you." He replied, wiping away a tear I didn't know i'd shed.