Chapter 19: I Love You So

A/N: Things as far as plot kind of speed up from this point onward as things get closer to ending. 19 chapters and the relationship between Wyatt and River is still relatively new. The pacing has been trippy for me even as the writer. But worry not! It's all been like this for a reason.

******************

Wyatt: 

      Aaron sprinted off upstairs as I took off my shoes to probably play some videogames. River had done me the favor of not questioning me relentlessly. Though that didn't stop him from being practically glued to me in times he could be at school. It was nice though; it felt good to be cared about. I ventured through the house in search of a de Lugo as one of their cars was parked in our driveway. They were in my dad's study, the murky glass of the french doors preventing me from seeing who was exactly inside. I heaved a soft sigh, heading upstairs to get changed for a run. 

     My performance was dropping off since I didn't go on my usual runs around town. I still didn't feel comfortable doing that again. Not when Mr. Green could be lurking anywhere. So i'd opt for jogging around my neighborhood; where everyone knew everyone. I changed into my cross country shorts and a hoodie as it was a little chilly out. I headed back downstairs, an odd curiosity overtaking me right as my feet reached the bottom of the steps. I never knew what my dad and the de Lugo men would talk about. I mean other than that they were good family friends. So a bit of eavesdropping couldn't hurt I supposed. 

      Standing beside the wall I listened in on the voices inside.

"Aside from family business. How has your investigation been? Any leads?" My father's voice inquired.

"Father wanted me to look into this. You know why Mr. Maddox." Cruz's accented voice assured him.

"I'll kill whoever did this to puchito. I'm sure you want that justice too." Cruz added, my breath hitching in my chest.

"Your father knows I don't want my children involved. I don't want this coming back onto him in anyway." My father sighed, sounding stressed.

"The de Lugo family is forever loyal to yours. You have helped us with much. Debts we can never repay." Cruz elaborated in confusion.

"The man's death will be an accident. Nothing else will be traced." Cruz assured my father for what seemed like the billionth time. I felt sick to my stomach. I spent my whole life knowing Cruz. He was a best friend. Someone i'd call an older brother. But hearing things like this made me feel like I didn't know him at all.

"I know Cruz. But could you blame me for wanting my children away from that life?" My father mused, his voice carrying a weary tone. He was tired and stressed. I could practically visualize him rubbing his temples as he normally did.

"My step father is a good man. He has rules in place for every de Lugo. Those rules extend to your family as well to protect them and those they associate with. You know those rules." Cruz said, a smile heard on his voice.

     Cruz was trying to assure himself. He didn't really like his step father because he was a raging homophobe. And basically ruined Cruz's love life; well his life period. But now that I knew this I could now understand why he was so afraid of letting his sexuality slip to anyone else but me. I heard steps that had me sprinting from the room. I made it to the kitchen just as I heard the study door click open, heaving an internal sigh. I felt so many things all at once. My dad was keeping secrets. And so was Cruz. But no matter what I couldn't be angry at my father. Instead it was turned at Cruz. What I was doing could make a mess. But I felt lied to by someone I trusted blindly.

      I headed for the door following Cruz who had exited it. I quickly tugged on my shoes, heading out into the chilly fall air just as his car roared to life. I walked around to the passenger side, peering through the deeply tinted glass.