Chapter 3: Head in the clouds

A/N: So yet another River pov~! His are interesting for me to write as i've never attempted a character at this angle. But anyway, enjoy the silent pining of River; ironic because Wyatt doesn't speak. Yeahhh i'll go home again. Ohh! There's a chapter song again. Enjoy the retro-esque sounds.

*************

River's pov:

      It was after photography club, and I had forgotten my headphones in the locker room somewhere. I had checked all over school. I needed music for going home as I rode my bike to and from school. Though my dad and I were working on and almost done restoring an old 60s Mustang he used to drive ages ago. We had been working on it heavily over many of my summer breaks so I would finally have my first car. This was the only time roaming the halls of this school were safe for me.

     The guys that usually bullied me were still in practice. I made my way to the empty boy's locker room, roaming the aisles of dark blue metal. I walked passed one and saw something, I turned back, seeing it was Wyatt in the middle of dressing himself. I felt like a pervert for watching, but I was enamored. But enough risk was enough, I tore my eyes from the beautiful sight before me, making my way to the aisle I got dressed on. And funnily enough, my headphones were snagged in the door of the very locker I used. I wondered how they were still there and somebody hadn't taken them. I was glad they didn't though. It would make going home a painful process.

     When I left the aisle, I saw Wyatt making his way out of the locker room. And then the butterflies came. I had had crushes before. But none were ever this aggressive. It was just something about him that was better than all the other boys I liked over the years. He was conventionally attractive to both guys and girls. Even though he wasn't super tall like a runway model, his aesthetic was more than enough to leave a lot of people fawning over him.There was a lump in my throat. But I committed to the action anyway.

"Hey Wyatt." I called, realizing quickly how creepy this all seemed in an empty and musky locker room.

     He paused, turning back to look at me. There was a subtle roll of his eyes as he reached in one of his bags, pulling out that signature notebook of his.

"What are you doing here?" He wrote, turning the page to face me.

"I was looking for my headphones after photography club." I explained, showing them to him.

"Done with cross country?" I asked, recoiling as I was definitely seeming creepy now.

     He flipped his notebook around to himself, writing yet again. Once finished he flipped it to face me.

"You're so awkward. Yeah I'm about to head home after I stop by the grocery store." The page explained, as he shot me a smile that screamed of teasing.

     Despite his silence, his confidence seemed unwavering. But I noticed with all of his bags carrying groceries home would be tough, unless he had a car.

"I can help you out if you want. I mean if you don't have a car." I rambled, my heart pounding.

      That feeling you got when you were terrified and either wanted to run or fight for your life; yeah, I got that feeling. Being this scared in any other situation I would run. But here I was, the words already having left my lips as time crawled. His face seemed thoughtful as he turned his notebook around to write a reply. I swear my heartbeat could be heard from within my chest as blood roared in my ears. Maybe he'd morph into some grotesque alien and eat me and i'd wake up and this all would be a dream?

     He flipped his paper around, revealing its contents to me.

"Sure, I could use the extra hands. My sister takes my car home." The note read as he closed up his notepad, returning it to his backpack, effectively shutting me up.