Chapter 15: The Shadows

A/N: We get back to Wyatt in this chapter. Things are progressing nicely with River. And this is the fastest a relationship has started in one of my works. Though that isn't without reason!

***************

Wyatt:

"Wyatt Maddox. Please report to the front office please." A voice said over the intercom of my pre-cal class. I wondered if i'd done something to get in trouble. 

      I looked to my teacher, getting a small smile and an encouraging wave as I collected my bag; class being just about over anyway. I headed out into the halls mind wandering around and trying to find out what I could have been called in for. I'd been on my best behavior. And hadn't really done anything with River aside from hand-holding briefly in the halls. My walk to the front office didn't take me long as I was soon pushing open the heavy mahogany door.

       Our school's principal was stepping out of his office.

"Just the student I wanted to see." He smiled brightly, before realizing I was the student that didn't talk, a feeling of awkwardness ensuing.

     He beckoned me to his office, requesting that I sit.

"So your teachers have informed me that you seem...despondent in class. Turning in assignments late." Our principal; Mr. Branwaithe spoke.

"When you used to be a brilliant student. And I hear you've been offered a scholarship to a nice school in Washington. We want you to keep that." He smiled, trying his best to be reassuring. When in all honesty I knew why he was speaking to me this way, intent on drowning me in pity.

"Okay." I said simply, cocking a brow.

"The entire student body mourns for what happened to you and we want to see you get better so I have something for you to attend after school before practice." He explained, seeming to quiver under my unflinching gaze.

"A support group for you and other peers who have faced sexual assault. You'll talk about how you feel. How you're coping with what has happened. I spoke with your father and he thinks its a good idea." Mr. Branwaithe said, sounding hopeful.

       My dad was behind this partially. Part of me wanted to be angry. But another part of me was tired of fighting. Mr. Branwaithe pushed over a brochure of sorts as I took it into my hands. If I refused here I was sure my dad would force me to see a therapist; something I didn't quite want either.

"I'll go." I said simply, sighing internally and shrugging externally as Mr. Branwaithe's eyes lit up.

"Very good. Did you need a pass for your next class? Next period starts soon." He asked, already in the process of writing me up a pass anyway.

      He handed the pass off to me and I left the front office. I stuck the pass to my chest, flipping through the brochure that was honestly cheesy. No matter how fine I told people I was no one believed me. Walking into the gym just as the bell rang I saw everyone already dressed out. I kept my pace casual, heading into the locker room to get changed. I was dressed out quickly, closing my locker, jumping in surprise and stumbling back to find Mr. Green standing on the other side of it.

      I was saved from falling by a strong hand on my bicep and and another caught me by the waist. I felt a bolt of fear rush through me from the contact.

"Everything okay Wyatt?" He asked, letting me go when I became stable on my own two feet again.

       I rubbed my arm, feeling dazed.

"Y-yeah." I stammered, spinning on my heel and leaving.

      I exited the dank locker room, spotting River, Joshua, and Sherri in the middle of their stretches. When Sherri's eyes landed on me her lips twisted into a concerned frown as her brows knitted up in worry.