Chapter 4: Lover Boy

A/N: We have yet another Wyatt chapter. Things are about to take a big turn. And plot will be put into overdrive. Unsure of story length at this point but I have some creative ideas to share! Join me?

****************

Wyatt:

         My sister shut off the car as I stepped out. Day two of this school year. And it had already been interesting. This River boy was a little on the weird side. His stares lasting a little too long sometimes. It was interesting to say the least.

"See you after school?" My sister said as she had already spotted her best friend. 

       The parking lot was empty; no one in earshot so I spoke.

"Sure thing. Pay attention in class." I smiled in return as we parted ways with a hug. I collected my gym bag out of the trunk, locking the car as I began heading inside to grab a snack from the lunchroom as we'd made it in time for breakfast at school.

       I attempted to dress with some sense of style today. Being such a successful athlete meant I could wear whatever if I wanted to be comfortable. I spotted someone familiar, questioning if I'd interact with him now or later. I'd make him squirm a little later. It was pretty clear he was into me; and that wasn't me being cocky. I'd have a little fun as I found him pretty attractive in a quirky way. And I was willing to entertain him. I strode passed him and his friend, pointedly not looking at him. Only when I passed did I turn around and shoot him a wink as I kept going in one fluid motion to the lines. His face when I turned seemed to be one of shock that made my heart flutter. 

       As I stood in line I felt a tall presence behind me. And I heard the subtle voice of his friend urging him on.

"Get your lanky ass over there and talk to him." I heard whisper-yelled.

       I couldn't help but smile a bit in amusement. It was my turn in line when I took a baked pastry and a carton of fruit juice. Just as I turned around I was greeted by the gentle giant that was River. I looked at him expectantly, even going as far as cocking a brow.

"H-hey Wyatt." He croaked out, scratching the back of his head.

       He was so distracted by me that he'd forgotten it was his turn. I waved in greeting and then stepped aside for him as well. He got some sandwich and a juice as well.

"I've got a girl to see." His friend smiled as he rested a hand on both our shoulders before he strolled off with a bit of dance in his step.

      River seemed a little awkward as usual as he didn't seem to know what to do with my attention. I grasped him by the wrist as by this time we'd had about thirty minutes to kill before first period. He seemed confused as I gently lead him along. I stopped by my locker first, putting away my gym bag until later. I looked back at him pretty much asking if he needed to do the same. He was smart and catching on to my silent communication. Normally i'd feel shy around people as I felt pressured to talk. But for River I felt a bit more comfortable. He nodded no to my silent words. I led the way outside, a certain place in mind. It was the bleachers around the track. We trekked up the stairs to the top set of seats before taking a seat. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, checking the time.

"Why here?" River asked, seeming to be nervous. 

       He was patient when I'd reached into my backpack and pulled out a notebook. I set to writing quickly; an ability i'd gained over the years. 

"I just like the height. And its quiet." I revealed, with a smile.

       I saw his eyes wander down to the football players tossing the ball back and forth on the field. Many of them were questionable to say the least. And his skittishness around them had me curious. I set to writing in my notebook with a question. I was immune to their torment. But some others weren't so fortunate. I was only protected because of my athletic status. And no one would dare harm a star athlete. I tapped his shoulder to catch his attention.