Chp:1 The Happy Couple

Violet slowly stirred a pot of greens on the stove. A honey roasted turkey was on bake  425°F and the corn bread was cooling off, ready to be served. Aaron sat in the living room tensely watching the Cowboys vs the Bears 21 to 7, going into the third quarter. He sipped his beer yelling for Violet to bring him another.

Violet felt a sharp pain in her back and slowly took a seat waitng for the ache to calmed down. A bloody tissue in her nose started dripping onto her cooking apron stainning it an unwanted red.

Her dog Kimi ran up to her playing, trying to cheer her up, sensing something was wrong. Kimi was her little loyal companion and she loved her very much.

Tears fell from her eyes as she slowly stood up and turned off the stove. Aaron walked in eyes squinted low, studying her. Hugging her from behind, he kissed her on the back of her head softy. "It smells good baby, how much longer?"

"A few more minutes,"she said softly beginning to gather eating utensiles for them both.

Violet sniffled and the freshly small bloody tissue she had just replaced, fell out her nose into the pot of greens.
She froze where she stood, as fear took over her body.

Aaron slapped her then threw her on the floor! She screamed and crawled away crying!

"Shut up, he yelled throwing the pot of greens at her! She jumped out the way barely getting hit! He went in his pocket and lit a cigarette storming out the kitchen, mumbling under his breath angrily. He yelled for her to hurry up with dinner; as he filled the air with a dry tobacco scent.

Violet cleaned the mess, decided to made a quick salad, and quickly served him. One of Aaron house rules was she ate after he did. The times she pissed him off he ate two or three plates, leaving her with what was left like a caged animal. He ran things and that's how it was, no questions asked. That was their life for the last ten years of him showing his love. He wanted everything done his way exactly or he would take it out on her however he felt in the moment, always finding something to take out on her.

After so many years, this was love as she knew, with time being a frienemey.

At times she would reminisce back when they first met at a party some years back when they were younger, around the time they were in college. She remembered seeing him smiling at her from across the room and walking up to her asking her name. She was shy and innocent back then, but in the moment. They eventually started dating getting to know one another, where he wined and dined her treating her like a princess. He truly swept her off her feet. Since then they had been inseparable, but not by choice. They didn't have many friends or family they stayed in contact with. He had a living mother, father, and grandmother, but there was some bad blood, so everyone kept their distance. So nobody knew much about Violet or saw them much.

She heard from Julie every so often, but they didnt have the ideal mother/daughter relationship many would long for. Julie always put her life before everyone; thats how it always had been since Violet could remember. Acceptance had been a hard taught lesson throughout Violet's life. She tend to keep a lot to herself due to trust issues and feeling misunderstood since her childhood.

She had a friend named Terri she had known since high school. She stood up for her first day as a freshmen in highschool when a group of girls started bullying her. Terri wasn't popular but known around for the fights she seemed to get into most of her highschool years. They did their best to stay in touch, but dealing with Aaron it was hard. Terri couldn't stand him knowing how he treated her, so to keep the peace she didn't come around much. She couldn't stand seeing her best friend with him; but she knew there was nothing she could do or say, if Violet countinued to choose to stay with him.

Violet's body stayed bruised and marked up. Most days she didn't even want to leave the house. She didnt know anything else or have anyone for refuge and mentally she was truly a lost soul.