Chapter 2: Demotion

School is my favourite place. I call it the only place i could excel. Unlike me, my step sister and brothers were dullards. I always felt like if i could bring home perfect results, maybe someday my dad will like me. Yes, about my dad. The thought of going back home still irks me. My dad is a very and i say that with the whole of my mouth, very stern and difficult man. He is one person i fear to death.

You might not believe me but i'll tell you an event that left its mark in my life. I was so scared of my dad that i ran away crying each time i see him coming. One day he got so angry that he took me up and threatened to kill me that day. My mum pleaded so much with him and cried. He wanted to hit my head on a culvert that morning. Interventions from passerby and neighbours saved my wailing life. The thought of meeting him at home today gave me chills.

He is a busy man and travels from time to time to his other wives also. Today was the senior wife's turn and he intended coming over. It only meant one thing, we all have to behave. I wasn't the only one scared of him though, Martins and i shared a mutual feeling. His favourite were Dara, Kingsley and Charles, a reason best known to him though.

My teacher gave me my assignment and i flipped it open. I grinned satisfactorily, i had 10 over 10 again. Ill show my dad this and maybe he'll give me meat this time.

"What did you get ? " Ese asked me as she got to my table. I wiped my smile away, she was another Dara in the making. She had sauciness written over her. "I dont know" i boldly responded.

"Yes you do you liar" she shouted right back snatching the note out of my hand.

"Oh, you cheated right ? " she lifted my boom showing it to the class.

"No i did not ! " i defended myself standing up and hitting the table. My hands were shaking but i held my stance. I had painstakingly did my assignment myself and didn't like my hard work put into mere fun.

She became shocked as if surprised i could talk at all. She instantly dropped my book and crossed her arms "Hmph ! " she snorted

"Ese go back to your sit" My aunty finally said after watching our banter speechlessly. Sometimes i think she's just a devil making me going through pain from Ese every time.

"And Ruth..." she called me making me turn to look at her with disgust written on my face. "That was very good". My expression became blank instantly,i sat down quietly and looked at the rack of bags hanging on the wall. I smiled effortlessly. Why she said that i had no idea but it sure felt good.

Hours later into our school period the proprietress who is also my guardian came into my class. I immediately sat still and stop talking to my friend Esther. We all stood up and welcomed her in a chorus. She waved absently to us "Thank you,have your sit." she faced my teacher and began speaking quietly to her. I focused hard and tried to read their lips but it was so difficult. Esther eventually poked me distracting me, she had been talking to me and i obviously wasn't listening.

"What ? " i responded harshly when she gained my attention.

"What did you do again ? "

I became sober, did she come to tell my teacher that i bed wetted ? I shook my head, she wouldn't say that even if my step mum told her. "What ? " Esther asked again when i shook my head. "I don't know" i muttered.

"Why were you beaten this morning then ? " she pointed to the cane mark on my had like i didn't know it was there before. I couldn't bring myself to tell her about it, it is embarrassing for even me. I'm sure she doesn't bed wet also. She might be my friend but she wouldn't understand my plight.

"I..i..." i began to stutter trying to gather my lies.

"Ruth go and carry your bag and lunch box" I was relieved by that order from my teacher and got up instantly. I went to the bag rack and unhooked my tattered bag, i had saved the zip from giving way so many times by decorating it with pins. I cant even begin to count the number of beatings i had gotten from it. I carried my lunch basket when it began to dawn on me. Why was i going home early ? We just finished lunch ? Did i do something wrong again ?