Chapter 9: Happy day ruined

"Oh my God!" my eyes fluttered open at the exclamation from my step mum. "What happened here? " I raised my hands as she rushed forward. My hands were left hanging as she rushed past me. I blinked and dropped my hand to my head feeling it for traces of blood. I was wondering how the blood must have dried up so fast when I heard my step mum cry out.

"Go and get me Femi to come with the car keys now". My brothers ran towards the boys quarters  shouting. I could hear them lamenting from afar.  The words blood and  Dara drifted to my ears.  Then it dawned on me, I looked at her direction and sighted blood dripping down Dara's face. I jumped up instantly, this  was no time for goofing around. Fear ran down my veins. Have I killed Dara?.  I moved a little closer and caught a glimpse of Dara's face.

Her eyes were closed and she appeared lifeless. Her mum kept wiping her tears and  praying silently. I sat down dejectedly on the wet floor and closed my eyes and prayed silently also. As mean as I considered her to be, I still loved her. My uncle came rushing in just then setting her into action as he carried her onto his shoulder and ran towards the car.

I knew there would be trouble when she comes back but I was not worried about that. All I wanted right then was for Dara's recovery. The rest of the night was cold and silent as we all sat down on the pavement by the gate awaiting her return. 3 hours passed and we became scared but remained silent, each person to his own thoughts.

"What should we do if mummy doesn't come back? " Martin voiced out eventually.  I swallowed, I have always wished she disappeared but I never knew how much we needed her for survival till now.

"Hello guys" a tiny chirps voice from above interrupted us. I looked up at a girl about our age looking down at us. I looked at the boys and smiled when I saw them adjust well on their seat.  Our neighbor had just come back from his numerous travels and this time he brought a girl back with him.

The wall demarcating both of our houses had a decorative brick which we could put our hands through and also see each others compound vividly. His house was a storey taller than ours and it was from this balcony she stood smiling down at us. I waited for the guys to reply as they had always been on her trail since she came. They had made an habit of coming to sit on the pavement and listen to her voice whenever she came out of her house into her  compound.

They looked moonstruck just then and I knew I had to help them out. "How are you?" I returned. 

She smiled "I'm fine, my name is Clara,  what's yours? "

I have always loved her smooth voice and accent and it sounded more wonderful hearing it directed at me now. "Mine is Ruth, Are you his daughter ? "

She knew I was referring to her father and nodded "My dad decided it was time I came back to Nigeria and learn the culture". She tilted her head a little to my brothers and frowned. "What's their deal?  Why are they quiet. I know they talk a lot, I see all of you through my room window" .

I laughed then,  if only she knew.  "They are worried our mum won't come back soon.  They are Martin, Kingsley and Charles by the way. " I moved closer to Martin and nudged him.  "You guys need to respond you know".  They seem to come back to their senses then and ran inside to hide. Clara understood and laughed.  "Are they shy? "

I feigned seriousness "My brothers shy?  No, no,  no" I decided to change the topic.  "How old are you? " I knew they were probably listening and had to as for them since it was their topic of argument in the bus.

"I'm 7. How old are you guys too? "

"I'm 9 and the oldest, we are all a year apart from each other.  Martin and Dara, followed by Kingsley then Charles. "