Chapter 11: A day of freedom

The lushness of the bed sank into my body as I laid down on the bed in my mummy's room and I loved it.  It felt strange not sleeping on my mat which I have gotten used to. My mum had been shocked seeing me crouched under the Table in the storage room. I was glad she was the one to discover me and clutched fast onto her pleading not to call my step mum. She had thought otherwise and decided to bring me home with her.

The smell of vegetable soup drifted into my room reminding my tummy of its need and it grumbled in response. Soon enough Kemi came in carrying a tray of food. I sat upright  surprised. She didn't look at me and dropped the tray on the bed. "your food" she muttered as icon disgust before turning to go back.

"so this is where you live? ". Hoping for a conversation.

"Now you know" her response was hostile and I believed it was because she was made to stoop so low to serve me. "I hope you enjoy your stay". The statement was made with a hint of cynicism that made me squirm. I stared a while at her absence before settling to eat. I carried the tray and placed it on my lap as my stomach churned louder at the sight of rice and vegetable in front of me.

I gaped at the greatness of the meal unaware of the tear that slid down my cheek. I had never seen so much food in one plate and I wondered if it were for lunch and dinner. I picked up the food and began eating which gave me a lot of time to be aware of my surroundings. There was so much load in the room to contain my whole house altogether. The bed itself  was massive and had four Milo cans on each foot to raise it higher. The wardrobes had clothes pouring out of it, though most were folded. I could see both female and male wares spitted into the four wardrobes and it made me remember mine. I wondered if  mosquitoes would troop out if I hit the clothes.

I smiled at my thoughts. A plastic doll squished between boxes at the top of the shelf caught my attention and I could swear there was something familiar about it but I just couldn't place it. I just knew then that I have played with it before. Just by the door side stood a table which  the television set was placed on. There was a CD player and a video cassette player which showed it was no longer in use on the table

By the table was a white cupboard which was by my bedside. It was unlocked and I opened it revealing lots of provisions and junks.  Every corner of the room was filled with one thing or the other. The space above my bed also wasn't omitted as it had several Ghana must go bags chucked in.  I suddenly felt thirsty and looked around for any signs of water. My eyes caught a small black drum by the door which Kemi can through previously. There was a cup on it showing it was meant for drinking.

I got up and went for it. I had dipped the cup in when my mum's voice drifted in. She sounded provoked and I wondered what could have caused it. I leaned closer and I could hear her speak audibly. She wasn't in a fight,  she happened to be discussing with someone heatedly.

"That woman is very foolish. How can a child get missing from your custody and you will remain calm about it? "

"That's serious o. Have you called her? " another voice came in and I decide to get closer. I exited the door Kemi passed through and found myself in a small passage filled with buckets of water. I was carried away by the exposure of another apartment as I stared at the three doors adjacent one another. The toilet door was opened but the others were closed.

"I called her and she didn't even sound sorry about it.  All she could tell me was to bring the girl to the house". My mum's voice reminded me of why I was standing there in the first place and I turned left towards where the voice was coming from. There was a bar at the entrance which caught my attention again but instead of drinks, it was filled with worn-out books and toys which not only lost their colors but their body parts also.