Chapter 5: Friendly Trouble

Stepmum was out for a party with our guardian giving us liberty to actually do what we want. As free as we were though we knew our boundaries. We had played several games all morning with our uncle before he went out and were all exhausted. Right now we all sat on the sofa facing each other. We were at lost on what next to do. There was no light making our TV useless for the moment.  Going outside was not an option either as we had been warned to stay indoors.

Just then Bingo barked outside. We all raced to the window to look at him.

"He looks sad" I felt for him as I saw his drooping tail.

"Can we go outside? " Charles looked at me in the eye pitifully.

"No,  mummy says we cant".

"We won't take long. Just a little " he squinted his hands to drive home the point. I wanted to reply him when Dara spoke instead.

"No! Will you quit whining and come inside? "  she pulled him along and others followed meekly inside. I stayed glued to the window pane watching the dog whine out of loneliness. Inadvertently my hand rested to the door handle opening the door slowly. My right sense told me to close it back but my hands remained rigid.

"Mum said no going out! " Dara cried in shock from inside. I ignored her as the temptation was too much. I stepped outside and hesitated. I could feel the silence from behind as everyone held their breath and looked on at me. I heaved then looked back. All eyes were on me.

"We could go out for just a few minute and not tell mum when she returns" I spread my hands sideways and shrugged. No one answered but I could see they were contemplating it as no one threatened to report me. "Okay" I said and went out. 

Bingo started barking and wagging his tail in happiness. It started running towards me but was restrained by his neck chain. I moved closer to it but kept an amicable distance. I waved at it and pushed its feeding bowl close to it which it hurriedly gobbled down.

"Wow that's fast" I turned back sharply to see my siblings lined up behind me. I laughed "So you finally came out".

Dara rolled her eyes "Just for a bit". She moved closer to stroke it's body as it growled quietly in satisfaction. Others came closer and we kept stroking it and making small comments on it until...

"The chain is coming loose" Martin's observed getting up.  "Let's go inside". As much as we had confidence stroking it,  we had no idea of what it was capable of when loose. Nevertheless, I stayed courageous "It can't do anything".

"Are  you sure? " Martin asked again. Dara got up too and went to stand by him. "I think we should go inside now".

"No,  let's wait a bit" Kingsley said when Dara pulled Charles up. "it won't bite"

"Yes" I nodded in agreement hoping they would change their minds.

"No we can't.  You both can stay". They both turned and ran inside.

I shook my head and waved them off "They are all weaklings".

"Yeah sure" Kingsley agreed. "It hasn't even loosed fully".

We began throwing biscuit bones at Bingo who jumped at each one with relish wagging its tail profusely. Then I noticed and paused.

I tapped Kingsley calling his attention . "What is it? "

"The rope has loosened"

We became scared.  "What should we do? ". I looked at him and his face had become white with fear. 

"Let's retreat slowly". I looked towards the door and saw the others watching us. "Open the door, we are coming in".

Instead they began to laugh and mock us from inside. "Didn't we tell you? " Dara shook her head.  "No we aren't opening it".