Chapter 16: Crossover

I may have been beating on Xmas day but i wasn't about to let my spirit get ruined by my wicked sister. With Xmas every year came a Xmas tradition for us. Today is boxing day and annually we went to amusement parks, for swimming or wherever was chosen for us by the elderlies.

by the next morning, the house was filled to the brim and one could hear the excited shrill of my siblings from afar. The rest of my step siblings were around with their mums also. Okay, so we don't get confused here. My dad has 5 wives, each of which birthed 2 kids for him. The lucky younger ones however were allowed to live with their parents while the older ones had to stay close to my dad.

Martin and Kingsley held on to their sisters with joy and had began chattering away with them.

"Ruth how are you? " I was finally noticed amidst the hustle bustle in the room.

"I'm fine ma". I was Sitted on the stool in the corner of the room and tried to be unnoticed. It worked because no one else noticed I was around until we all had to load ourselves into the bus, parents excluded.

"We are going to the water parks" Dara blurted excitedly. I was also excited. I loved swimming, not just because it was fun but I could go deep into the water and bury my thoughts. Or so I thought.

Few minutes later we arrived at our destination and pushed each other to get out.

"Take it easy" Mr Kunle barked at us bringing us to order. We got down gently and waited for him to lead us in. The events that followed were amazing. I can safely say we arrived at water heaven.

"You can go and swim now, but you have to be careful. I'll be here---". We didn't hear the last of his instructions as we all ran diving into the pool. The pool was filled with kids both big and small. Parents were standing at the edge of the pool supervising their kids. This wasn't what I planned for. I got out of the pool and walked around. Soon I got distracted with several gifts showcased for sale and I moved closer.

A very large doll caught my attention from the show glass. It reminded me of my little doll at my mum's place. I moved closer and placed my hands on the glass. I wish my mum was here to buy it for me. Just then a little girl came pulling her mum closer and pointing at the doll.

"Mummy mummy I want". She could be what? 5? 6?.

"it's mine" I said catching her attention. Her mum looked at me and laughed.

"Where are your parents? " I looked at her then at my feet.

"Who is getting it for you? " she asked again.

I became speechless and sad at the same time. Then I remembered I had my feet. In two words I ran. The people in the pool began to reduce. I was about diving in when my eyes caught a very large slide. I ran for it. Swimming became fun for me then. Hours passed by before Mr Kunle came to call us.

"It's time to go" he stood by the edge of the pool waiting for us. We began to grumble. "Give us 5 more minutes "Dara pleaded.

"10" Kingsley added. He became impatient. "if you are not in the bus in the next 5 minutes I'm driving off". We looked at him and saw that he was serious. We scurried out and rushed to the bus.

The rest of the week was lonely for me. My siblings had no time for me as their siblings were still around. I spent most of my time at the backyard singing and counting stones most time. The days went by fast and it was the last day of the year.

As usual everyone living on planet earth went to church and so did we. More so as children of the pastor we had no choice. Mama always made sure we got to church earlier than the vigil was meant to start. This gave the kids lots of time to play.