Chapter 15: Tricked Christmas

"Will you please be friends with my daughter" Her soft voice which held enough honesty made me lift my eyes to hers instantly. Guilt pangs sank down my stomach. I was expecting more of a lash or slap at least. Her response was strange, i never knew adults spoke so lovingly. That moment was a major turnaround for me, i felt bad for my actions towards her daughter.

  I looked at Vanessa, she looked at me in a very timid way. I looked back at my friends who were already sitting up expecting my answer. I could see Ayomide's pleading eyes bore into me already. She was  sweet like that.

I looked back at her mum and nodded. "Yes i will". I moved towards Vanessa and pulled her into a hug. She broke into sobs immediately. I knew she wasn't tough. I hugged her tighter "its alright"

"Th...ank you. It mea..ns so much to me" . She managed to say through her croaky voice.

"Yes, you are welcome" Ayomide said as she and others joined in the hug.

"You are squishing me"  I could barely breathe from the tight hug. They all giggled releasing me from their hold.

"Thank you so much dear"  

@@@@@@@@@@

The seasons came and went and at last it was Xmas season. I loved this period a lot because it was the only season we got to go out for fanfares. The smell of chicken frying wafted through the house. My dad was always around at this period and somehow he was always happier. I heard him say one Xmas that he was grateful to have his family around him. I still doubt if i was one of them though.

From the backyard you could hear the thud the pestle made as it crushed the pieces of yam in the mortal. Uncle Femi always prepared the pounded yam and this was because it is my dad's favourite and he liked it natural. The prowess at which he pounded the yam always thrilled us  and we thought it was easy till he put it in our hands one day.

"Uncle Femi carry it! Carry it!!" my plea rang out across the house as the weight of the pestle almost crushed me. My uncle and others laughed until it came to their turn again, then it became less thrilling for us. We grew contented with watching the rough pieces of  yam turn into a smooth lump, edible for the stomach. My dad's and mama's  morsels were always served and wrapped into nylon first while we helped put it into his cooler.

Then we had to serve ours also into nylons, i particularly loved shaping it into a smooth round lump before dumping it into the cooler. We finished assisting with the serving and got up all at once.  "Come back here" We squeezed our faces as we stopped in our tracks.  "Are you expecting me to wash this?" He pointed to the dirty mortal. 

As much as we loved serving,  washing wasn't really our best part and we tried to push it to each other.  "It's Dara's turn to wash today" I voiced out immediately.  She scowled at me and folded her arms. 

"That doesn't relate to this,  I already washed this morning"

"But you are meant to wash the entire day" Charles reminded her.

She passed her anger on him "What do you know?  You haven't been washing any plate in this house"

"Well,  he is right at least" Martin defended.

"Dara come and wash it" Uncle Femi was obviously tied of our banter and decided to end it.  She began to grumble and whine.  "It's too big for me to wash,  my hand is paining me".

"It wasn't paining you this morning was it?". He asked calmly.

She hated being cornered and busted out stomping in to the house.  "My own hand is paining me o,  I will go and tell mummy".