Chapter 24: The siege

"Yes I would" I said quickly interrupting her before she could utter what she was about to say.

She smiled and spread her arms. "Well in that case I'll leave you two to it then". With that she slid out leaving snr Wura and I in the room.

I had followed her to the senior hostel section and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to go in. It was very huge and beautiful. On the way just before going in she had told me to put on a fierce look so no one will question me. No junior was allowed past the ground floor where the mini market was so I had to look like a senior to be allowed in.

" Do you know the story behind that tree" she pointed to a slim tall tree with branches like a palm. I shook my head "tell me".

" it was said that a girl had left her play group and walked up to it saying it was calling her. She stood under it and kept staring at it for hours until people started getting suspicious. Her friends tried to pull her away to no avail. She was there for two days till a deliverance minister was brought. She was saved but her neck kept looking up.

"That's scary, why hasn't it been cut down?" I inquired.

"There was no need, it has been rendered powerless since then"

Just then we got to the entrance.I looked back at it and shuddered. We walked past the mini market and I saw seniors and a few juniors there with an attendance looking up at the shelves.

"Wanna know who the woman was?"  She looked at me for a response.

"Who?"

"The woman at the mart" I stopped in my tracks and retreated. Truly what I thought was, wasn't really it. I had passed by assuming she was looking at the shelves. She was actually attending to students while looking up. Occasionally she would lift the money up to look at it before giving them change. She actually seemed fine with it.

"Stop staring" snr Anita held my hands and pulled me forward.

" sorry, I was just surprised ". She laughed. " I know you would".

The picture kept recurring in my mind up to this moment even while Snr Wura was talking. I was so distracted.

"Are you here?" She asked me piquing my attention.

"Sorry I was distracted for a moment. What did you say?"

"I asked if you are hungry so we could go and get something"

My stomach growled in answer and we laughed "I sure am"

She stood up holding my hands "alright let's go while you tell me what was it that was distracting you".

I nodded and took her hands as we walked back downstairs. We talked for a long time while chowing down a full plate of amala. She was fun to be with and very interested in knowing about me. With time I got comfortable with her.

" Have you started menstruating?" She asked suddenly.

I raised my head up looking at her confused with chicken bone in my mouth. "What?" I asked with my mouth full making my word sound more like "w..a..a..r?"

She laughed making me laugh in return "You sound ridiculous". I dropped the chicken and licked my fingers.

" What's menstruating? "

She didn't chide me for not knowing but instead took her time to explain what it was, though most of the words were ambiguous and confusing. I kept nodding. At least I got the point that blood comes out.

"So have you?"

I paused to think before responding "well the only time I've ever seen blood from my body was when I had an injury so I guess I have not."