Chapter 8: Boomerang

I strode with exhilarating confidence to the gate.  I finally found a way to pay her back for her evil ways. Like a flash she zoomed past me into the house and locked me out of the house. It took a while for me to see how I had been outsmarted. I began banging the gate. Martin came to open it after few minutes of relentless banging.

He was drenched with sweat and panting. He scowled when he saw me silently telling me he was unhappy I stopped his game. "What were you doing outside? "

"I went to meet Dara and I saw her and John kissing."

His eyes grew wider and he came closer interested "Kissing? "

I dismissed his interest "Yes,  but that's not the issue now"

"What is? "

"I think I'm in trouble again. I wanted to go and report her but she outsmarted me and locked me outside "

The magnitude of what happened dawned on him just then. "Uh oh... "

I became perplexed and began to shiver. All of a sudden I mustered courage. Come to think of it,  I've done nothing wrong. She did the kissing not me. She deserves to be punished not me. 

I marched straight for our apartment and met her on the way coming towards me. She smirked and put her hands on her waist  daringly. "Mummy is calling you ". I paused and stood observing her. Her wicked smile passed so much message but I didn't know what to make of it. I tried to read how much trouble I am in but she looked away from me expressionless.

"I've told you, if you like keep standing there. " She swished past me leaving me in my turmoil. I dragged my feet to the doorstep and with a quick prayer and a cross signal I opened the door knob.

"So now you have added fornication to your many sins?" she attacked me as soon as I stepped inside. I could see the brand new cane laying by her side on the chair. She leaned her head on her arm expecting a response from me".

"fo...rnnication?" I asked puzzled. "What is fornication? "

"If I slap you ehn, your brain will communicate the meaning to you"

I stepped back "Sorry ma" I still couldn't quite figure out what she meant by it but it was a word I had come across in my bible several times but couldn't check since I owned no dictionary. I knew it to be something bad as it was always associated with hell fire. I would do now such thing.

"I didn't fornication ma" I nervously responded.

She burst into laughter. "What sort of English is that?.  So you are so daft now that you can't construct sentences? "

I just shook my head in response before my mouth put me into another trouble. She stood up and picked up the cane walking towards me slowly.

"Look at me closely" she pointed to her eyes.  "I am aware of what my daughter is doing with John. You have no audacity whatsoever to stop her from having a boyfriend. Who the hell do you think you are".

I lost it, she had finally succeeded in making me dumb. Did she actually know what she's talking about.

I tried to make her see the magnitude of what she's saying "But mummy they were kissing " .

"Which is why I'm going to deal with you. She said you told her to do that".

I jumped back and raised my hands innocently "No mummy, I did no such thing.  I told him to leave her alone " tears began to drip down my cheeks.

"And how is that your right?  I ask again." she pulled her ears "Listen to me and listen good, don't you ever dare interfere in my daughter's affairs okay"