Chapter 26: Dreams do come true

Like a miracle the fire stopped, the matron came and informed us that the canal had doused the fire. We all breathe a sigh of relief. That's when she noticed our bags.

"And where do you think you are going" she pointed to our boxes.

"We just wanted to save it from the fire" a girl lied.

"Well thank God the rooms were not burnt. Just your windows". She looked at the time on her phone. " You all should go and sleep now. Its almost dawn though, you have two hours before the bell rings".

We all groaned, grumbled and murmured as we moved back into our hostel. We had anticipated going home but that was not to be anymore.

"I hope the witches were burnt too" Princess whispered to me touching her scars.

"Probably"

"Or they ran away to come back for you" Suliat replied in a spooky way.

I laughed and nudged her "cut it off, you are scaring the girl to death".

We couldn't sleep for the remaining hours left as we all continued to talk about the events of the evening.

"Keep quiet everyone and go to bed before you get punished"

I still had the previous annoyance in me and didn't know when I hissed "I would like to see you try". My friends looked at me all at once as if I had gone crazy.

" what are you doing? " Fathia whispered.

I rolled my eyes and shrugged "if you are scared of her I am not".

"oh really?" Snr Ogechi appeared in my bunk space freaking us out.

I sat up confidently. My minds was telling me I was acting crazy but my body kept misbehaving. I looked her in the eye ignoring the sudden silence in the room.

Suddenly she faced my friends. "I can see you all have been teaching this newbie disrespect"

"No, she was just joking" Fathia said in defence

"Well, if she can't be punished then you all will have to suffer for it"

"What?!" We all exclaimed at once and I bounced out of my bed. "That's unfair! I'm sorry" I quickly apologized.

"Tell that to the birds" she walked to the middle of the room. "Now everybody out!" She pointed to the door, we all got down from our beds and began to grumble. Funny enough, no one blamed nor attacked me.

The students from the other rooms heard our squabbles and came out to watch. As soon as we were outside, she closed the door or net on our faces. The door was made solely of net and twisted coppers which barely holds weight.

"This is so mean, how are we supposed to sleep outside now?" One of the girls complained sitting on the floor.

"Especially with all we have gone through all night" said another.

I looked at my friends, none of them were even looking at me. They didn't support the act but neither did they want to blame me. I couldn't take it again.

I stood akimbo and took a deep breathe "And are you just going to accept it that way?"

"What are you saying?" Suliat asked with her eyebrows raised.

I scoffed "I never knew I had weaklings as my roommates" that got the attention of the rest of them.

"Weaklings?" One short dark girl stood up angrily "Do you realize you put us in this mess?"

I moved closer to her raising my voice also "Now you are in it, what are you going to do about it?"

Fathia tugged at my dress pulling me back "Ruth that's not nice"