Chapter 13: Sisters

"I'm tired already, how much longer? " Dara  voiced out eventually after 30 minutes of trekking. Our enthusiasm about the adventure was low and our spirits weren't high anymore.

"Few minutes more before we get to the junction." Mrs Titilayo slowed down a bit to respond. That was her very first sentence to us since we began the trek. She was at the lead while we dragged behind her.

Dara sat on the floor. "Im going to choke if I have to take a step further". "Uh oh.. " I said seeing Mrs Titilayo's angry expression. "I think now will be a good time to get up" I warned her trying to lift her up as Mrs Titilayo began coming towards us. She hit my hands off instead.

"If you don't get up I will have no choice but to discipline you here in public." She hesitated a bit but seeing that she meant it she grudgingly got on her feet and began to whine "I cant do this anymore, I'm going to tell my mum when I get home"

Her threats didn't move Mrs Titilayo one bit.  "I care less about that. Right now I want you to march in front of me if not... ". She stomped her feet on the floor as she marched forward in annoyance. I was glad the air had died down until my sandals snapped.

I remained glued on that position as others moved on. I became scared and didn't know how to relate such to her in her present angry state. Thankfully Martin noticed I wasn't following. He looked at me then at my feet instantly guessing what was wrong. 
I looked at my sandals also, they were practically tired of this world. It had so many stitches enough to sew a pretty new gown.

"MA, Ruth's sandals have cut" Mrs Titilayo groaned as she looked back, unhappy to be stopped a second time. She looked at me and sighed. To my surprise she pointed to a nearby bench.  "sit here all of you while I go sew it nearby. " with joy they all hurried to the bench glad to be able to rest. I stretched out my sandal to her. She took one look at it and speculated whether to collect it or not.

Seeing she had no choice, she took it from me holding it with her fingertips before dumping it into a nylon she took from her bag. "Why can't you just tell your mum to get you another one, this one is dead".

I avoided her eyes which unsettled me "I will tell her".  I joined others on the bench sighing with relief as my butt hit the bench. "I can't wait to get home" Dara said in frustration.

"Me neither" for the first time I meant it. I now knew the importance of the luxury of transportation. We whiled away our time as we discussed on every passing fascinating object or person. Few minutes later, Mrs Titilayo returned. We were well rested and happy to continue the journey in one piece.

We eventually got home later in the day and had to report to mama before going to our apartment. The smell of garden egg sauce drifted into our noses making our stomachs rumble as ever entered her apartment. She came out of the kitchen just then and looked at us. "Thank you Mrs Titilayo, you may go now. Will see you at school tomorrow"

She exited the building leaving tension behind as we all looked down or at the pictures on the walls. Anything to get our attention away from the present. I began reading the 60 names of God like it was my first time seeing it there.

A knock on my head jolted me to reality as I held on to the spot and rubbed hard at it. I looked at others and saw them doing likewise. I had been carried away to notice her come closer.

"I want this to be the last time you will ever be involved in anything to tarnish my image.  Do I make myself clear? "

"Yes ma" we chorused as I nodded my head in agreement. "Tomorrow is your graduation ceremony and Xmas party and I hope you are going to make me proud"

We nodded

"go and take your showers and have your dinner. I will see you tomorrow. No TV for you today so I don't want to see you here"  she strode back into the kitchen "You can go now"