Chapter 14: A taste of Power

Music blared  from the school compound as we neared the school entrance. Several fleet of cars were lined up at the school gate. Pupils in their adorable outfit walked side by side by their parents into the school compound.

"Where can I park now? " mama voiced out subconsciously looking around for an empty space. There was no point looking as every corner had been blocked. Graduation day was the only day the school bus doesn't function, hence, we had to go with mama. That meant a very quiet journey in which we dared not shut our eyes.

She always made sure we were observant and asked us if we saw the army school or the airport along the road. Like,  we had to make sure we saw everything as we dreaded the sound of her knock against our heads. We had our sitting arrangements in her car. Dara and Martin always sat by the door while Kingsley and I sat in the middle. Her reasons being they would be more careful. I've always wondered what that responsibility would feel like and awaited that opportunity.

Charles had his corner at the front seat being the favorite. But we never envied that position because it meant more prying from her. Though Charles scaled through most of the punishments because she pampered him a lot. Like I get it when he was younger
he deserved that pampering but he's six now please!. But it came in handy most times though as we used him as our escape route.

With my dad it was different. He was also a favourite but that was alongside Kingsley and Dara. I dared not make any mistake with them where he is concerned.

"move out of the way!" mama's voice jolted me out of my thought. She was driving off the school road already still looking for a spot. I leaned my head back in the silence and continued my thoughts. I remembered a particular time when he came home and I wasn't aware. We were playing a rubber game and Kingsley cheated. I spanked him on the back for that.

He cried and went into mama's apartment, I was surprised. Since when did we start having confidence to go to mama on such issues. Oh well,  I continued the game with Martin until Kingsley came back downstairs  wiping his face.  "Daddy is calling you". I froze.

"Ehn! I was hoping I heard wrongly"

"Daddy is calling you" He repeated.

I began to fret and babble "When did daddy come? Why didn't you just tell me to beg you ehn. I didn't mean it now." I moved closer to him and began rubbing his head. "oya sorry, go and tell daddy I did not beat you".

My pleas fell on deaf ears and I knew I'm actually dead. I began to rub my fingers against each other as I walked upstairs. I stood by the entrance of hi room for some minutes and made the sign of the cross across my face. I entered and saw him sitting on the bed. He turned as soon as I entered.

"bring me my belt" he pointed to his belt hanging on the arm of the chair. I began to sniff as I went for it.

"Daddy I did not know,  my hand just hit him. I told him sorry"

"I've told you that you have no right to beat any of them, haven't I? "

I nodded as he came towards me. My head hit the back of mama's chair before I could realize what happened. I looked around and saw that the car was in an awkward curve. She had apparently been trying to squeeze herself into a space and hit the wall. I rubbed at the pain on my head before sitting back. She managed to reverse and get out of the space. She hissed and moved forward.

"Finally " she said as she saw a free space close by. She drove the car in and sighed. "You can come down now". I sighed also. That was one tough ride. I smoothed my gown with my hands as I got down. I quickly went for mama's bag as I was the closest to her. Failure to do that could yield deadly consequences.