Chapter 6: Birthday

"Mummy please I want to go with you ". Tears streaked down my cheek as I looked up at my mum's astonished face. She squatted to my level ignoring the angry sighs of my step mum behind us.

"You can't come with me just yet. You have to stay with your dad"

I clutched at her shoulders. "But... Mum." I pulled up my dress revealing the marks on my body as she gasped. "Mummy see my body. I want to come home"

She looked at my step mum "Bisi!  Kilode? (what happened? "). What could she have done to deserve this?" she got up and move closer to her. "Do you want to kill her? "

"Did you ask her what she did ehn?  Or should I let a child under me become spoilt. See I have nothing to say to you. If you want her go and speak to her dad.  But for now, she is keeping us waiting, we have to go home "

My mum became quiet and mute.  She shook her head "Bisi! My God will repay you for this. " she came back to meet me and hugged me tight "Ruth,  I'm sorry you can't come with me." I began to cry "Why mummy why?  Make me understand ". She began to sob also.  "When it's time you will understand. Remember what I told you. Always pray. God will fight for you"

My step mum dragged me out of her bosom "get into the car with your belongings. "

"Mummy no please" I held onto her thigh till my step mum pried my hands away from her. "if you don't get into the car now I'll slap you ". I picked up my bag and walked slowly to the car.  I looked back at my mum but she could only wipe her eyes helplessly.

I glued my eyes to the window and watched her as the car drove away oblivious of the several threats my step mum kept making at the front.

"Ruth come here" my guardian's voice from the window was the first thing I heard as I came down from the car. I clutched my bag to my chest as I walked over to her place.

"Sit down" . I sat down on the settee opposite her.

"Why did you do that? "

I touched my fingers and looked down at my laps. "I know you want to be with your mum but that isn't possible right now okay?" . I was surprised but I nodded anyways.  "Now you will go back and drop your bag and tell your mum that i have dealt with you".

I jerked my head up in surprise. I couldn't believe my ears or eyes that I was talking with the same woman. "Yes ma". I muttered and quietly got up and out of the house.

I went to the tap and put water on my face before going inside.  "Mama has beat me" was the first thing I said when I bumped into her indoors.  She fumed for a while.

"The next time you pull such a stunt with me will be your last in this house. Do you understand? ". I nodded rapidly. She waved her hand dismissing me and I went into the room.

Sundays were days of visitation from our mothers, all except me though. My mum stopped coming to visit me since the previous year giving me no reason for it.  Martin's mum was the first to come and he ran over to her. 30 minutes later, Kingsley's mum arrived. The house became busy after that and I felt so lonely.

I went to the backyard and sat down alone.  I needed to get busy with something. I picked up a broom and started killing flies. I was so engrossed in it that I didn't Notice my guardian walk towards me. "Come inside" . I was startled and dropped my broom hurriedly before going with her.

We got in to her living room and she told me to sit down. She went to the TV stand and turned it to a children channel for me. I was happy and forgot my sorrows for some minutes. I waited for her to leave but she sat on the closest settee instead. I decided to glue my eyes to the TV.