Chapter 19: Scandal

As difficult as my step mum was, there were  times she became human. Moments like these always turned a shocker to me. She became softer though when she began to stick to a particular man who came constantly to greet us. Still, Dara and Charles got preferential treatment though. After all, they were her children not us. 

I woke up feeling feverish and very hot.  It was an holiday and we were all at home. I was fine the previous day, well asides the normal headache I had always brushed aside as normal.  Surprised though to find myself so weak and sweaty on the bed. I managed to walk down to the living room but it was very obvious that I wasn't feeling well.

My step-mom didn't notice though until Dara went to report to her later that afternoon that I was vomiting. It was a wrong timing for her though because her suitor just came in and they were in the middle of a conversation. I wasn't expecting her to respond to Dara's report. You can imagine my shock when I saw her running out with her man on her tail.

"Jesus!  Ruth what is it?" she touched my body and pulled me up. "Are you still vomiting ?" . I looked at her in awe and shook my head.

"Okay come inside ". I began to understand the picture just then and decided to use it to my advantage. If she wants to impress her man, then I will give her a show. I began to falsely shiver and fell on my knees. Her man came forward and touched me withdrawing instantly. "My God she's blazing hot". In a breathe, he carried me up and took me into my step mother's room.

I can't begin to narrate my joy when the air conditioner hit my skin. I relaxed immediately. My step mum ran in after him carrying a mat. She cried out stepping into the room. "No don't put her on the bed"

He stopped immediately and looked at the bed like it had become dangerous. "Why not? "

She spread my mat on the floor. "Lay her here, she bedwets". His face became relaxed. "oh". He looked at me in wonder, I avoided his look instantly. Is it a crime to bed wet. Free me joor.

He gently laid me on the ground. Just then my siblings also came in.

"Don't disturb her" she stopped them before they could settle down. She gestured to martin "Come and but medicine for her".  He went to meet her. She had began giving him instructions when she looked at me. "What do you want to eat? "

That question rang so many meaning in my mind. I looked at her man who was sitting down now and looking at me worriedly. I began to think evilly. This is a very rare opportunity for me, I had better grab it now.

"Caprisone"

She raised her eyebrows "Capri what? ". I looked down in disappointment when the man spoke.

"Let her have it, at least she should have something in her to hold the medicine.". He dipped his hand in his pocket and brought out a 500 naira note and handed it to Martin. "You can get her Ribena also and biscuits".

Martin looked at me and I winked at him. O smiled. This is the best sickness ever. Soon, my treats were delivered to me and my siblings watched with envy as I downed each and every pack. She then gave me my medications. When I was done, I closed my eyes in bliss and slept off, the air conditioner cooling my soul.

I woke up much better at midnight an everyone was asleep, the man wasn't around anymore. I felt my temperature and it had cooled. I bit my lip. No, not yet,  I have just begun my enjoyment. I stayed up taking in the beauty of the room before I fell asleep again.

The next morning, my step mum felt my temperature and gave me food and my medications again. She then explained how I was going to take the rest. Seeing she was about to dismiss me, I began to shake again and the episode continued. Martin was the one who cleaned up my urine for that period to his displeasure but I wasn't moved by that. I enjoyed the rest of the week in her room, eating whatever liked to my siblings envy till she got fed up and came to me one night.