Chapter 17: Journey alone.

Several months passed in its bliss and we grew older. I learnt my lesson pretty well never to call daddy cool my father again although i did when no one was around. The beating i had gotten that day made me tell everyone proudly that he is my dad whenever I see him lurking.  The older we got the closer Dara and I got. Weird right?  Well our bond started when a church member gave Dara and I a barbie collection. That is the best gift any girl child can ever get, note it. We squealed and raced to the playroom immediately we got home. I was glad though that we each got our own set, if not...

We had barely gotten in when my step mum interrupted us. "If you dare sit down without pulling your clothes, that will be the last time you will see those toys."

"But mum.., " Dara began pouting.  Not me,  I won't let her put me in trouble.  I was in my room in seconds naked down to my waist and below as I began searching for my house wears in the closet. Dara came in seconds later doing the same.

"Did mummy collect it? " I became scared, I had left my toy there in frenzy. She shook her head as she parted her folded clothes pulling one out.

"No she didn't". I sighed as I hurriedly put on my blouse and skirt running back to the room. She joined me before I could sit down  still struggling with her top. I laughed and she joined me, both laughing at her predicament as her hands shot through the neck of the blouse.

I began dismantling my pack as the boys came in after offloading the car.

"Who gave them to you? " Martin asked sitting beside me.

"Mummy Esther, but you better go change your clothes first before sitting down before mummy catches you".

They got up quickly and joined us minutes later. I had sprawled my toy on the floor and began arranging them accordingly.

"Yours is a teacher" Kingsley observed.  I nodded "Yes" as I began setting up its closet. It came with teaching materials and a personal changing wardrobe with extra clothes for her. I began hanging the clothes tidily as I set up her classroom also.

"What's yours? " Charles asked Dara trying to peek into her pack for the occupation.

"She's a baby doctor I think" she looked at it confused as she held two tiny babies in her hands. I became fascinated and dropped mine.

"That's nice,  they look beautiful" I went for one holding their tiny bottles.

She frowned "But I don't like babies". I didn't wait for her to finish. "Let's exchange". She pondered on it for a while looking at mine. 

"okay, but I'll only give you the babies. I love my doctor".

Kingsley picked up the pack "It's called p..e..d..a.t--"

I couldn't take it anymore and snatched it from his hand. I looked at the tricky word and pronounced it in my mind before saying it out. "it's a pediatrician"

"What's that? " DARA asked handing over the babies to me with their clothes.

I shrugged "who knows, A baby doctor I guess"

"A physician who specializes in pediatrics..." Martin began reading from the dictionary he brought out from his bag taking our attention with him.

"----a children's doctor or babies doctor" he concluded. I knew that knowledge would be stuck forever as I looked at my newborns in my hands.

Dara and I became inseparable from then on. Well,  except my step-mom called me though. Taking care of our beauties became a daily routine for us as we only took break when we were at school or when the boys pestered us till we got up to join them outside. Most of the time, we talked of new style dresses, hairstyles and activities we could give to them. The boys were however banned from coming close to it.