#21

#21
Ayla's POV.

We put our suit cases in the back of the taxi before heading around to the back seats and sliding in, both instantly buckling up.

The taxi ride was mostly silent, except for me explaining my home town to Brennan.

"Why is there four gas stations within a block of each other?" Brennan asks after we passed the fourth gas station in a row.

"I actually don't know"

"What's that food truck think?" He questions.

"It has like tacos and burritos and that kind of stuff, it's really good"

"The pool is drained already?" He asks, referring to the community pool.

"Yeah, it's really dumb, the town spent so much money on it. I guess to just make it smaller and nicer. I don't know. But the pool used to be really big, and got to like five feet deep. And now it's small and only gets to three feet. It's barely open too.

We go about 15 minutes before he talks again, "woah, that house is huge"

I look to the house he's looking at.

"That's my grandparents house"

"Really?"

"Yeah"

"You'll have to show it to me next time I come back"

"Ok, and you can meet my grandparents"

"Yay" He says sarcastically.

"Yeah my grandma is kinda judgmental sometimes, and my grandpa will probably make fun of you but it'll be fine"

***

We get to the airport and get all checked in. We sit at our gate and wait for our plane to board when I come to a frightening realization.

"I have swimming tonight" I say kinda panicked.

"Don't worry, I talked to your coaches"

"How did you get them to let me skip and not give me a huge consequence?"

"Um..." he scratches the back of his neck, "I may have told them that you're going on a family vacation because you have to go to a funeral."

My jaw drops.

"You lies to my coaches?" I question.

"Maybe" He replies nervously.

"And they believed you?"

"No, your mom backed me up"

"That makes sense" I say back.

My mom isn't strict at all. So it makes sense that she would lie to get me out of swim team.

"Flight 247 from Wisconsin to Puerto Rico is now boarding"

***

Walking onto the plane I stop briefly to pat the outside of the plane for good luck. I let Brennan walk on the plane first so that he could find our seats.

"I call window" I whisper to him.

I see his smile as he turns his head to the side so that I can hear him better. "Not if I get there first"

"I will climb over you right now if I have to"

"Everyone will look at you like you're crazy"

"That's because I am crazy"

I hear him laugh under his breath.

"I'm waiting"

I scoff, "I don't want to end up hurting someone already in their seat"