VII.VIII

Setting: Gates Canyon Park, Calabasas, CA

"Muse, slow down please," Demi said as she saw Batman and Muse starting to pick up speed as they went on one of their afternoon walks

Muse had started to go to school for half of the day – because Demi wasn't ready to let her go for a full day yet – so they had all afternoon to do other things. One of those things was taking Batman and Robin on a walk to the park near the house. It helped Muse burn off some energy before dinner time, and Batman and Robin got to spend some time outdoors. It was killing two birds with one stone.

"Can I go play now?" Muse asked once they reached the actual playground, holding Batman's yellow leash out for Demi to take.

"Sure, just stay where I can see you, okay?"

Calabasas was a relatively safe area but there was always paparazzi lurking around and Demi still felt uneasy about going out in public with Muse even though it had been four years since she had her. Muse released a loud squeal before running over to the jungle gym where a few other kids were playing. Muse wasn't necessarily shy. Growing up with so many cousins really had turned her into a people person, so Demi wasn't too worried about her making friends or anything. She could just be a bit of a brat sometimes, but Demi was working on that.

Trey: where are you?

Demi sat down on one of the benches that directly faced the playground, her Ugg boots crunching against the woodchips as she sent her location to Trey. They had been in constant communication since the night she went to his house in tears. She still didn't know why she had gone to him. Her sisters lived much closer to her and Kris was only a few minutes away. But Demi just found an unexplainable amount of comfort in Trey. They had so much history, they had been through so much together...it was easiest to go to him because he really did understand her the way that no one else did...the way that Cristo didn't.

"Hey," she heard from behind her, causing her to turn around and watch as Trey circled the bench to sit down next to her. He had Kane with him, and Demi reached down to pet the affectionate dog as Trey took his leash off.

"Hey," she greeted, briefly glancing at the playground to see where Muse was – showing off on the monkey bars – before locking eyes with Trey.

"Is that my hoodie?" Trey asked, looking at the olive green Nike hoodie that she was wearing. Demi had thrown it on without much thought but she did briefly remember stealing it from Trey the morning that she left his house.

"Maybe..."

"After all these years, you still can't keep your hands off of my clothes," Trey teased, lightly nudging her in the side as she playfully rolled her eyes.

"Shut up, it was the first thing I saw," she chuckled, folding her arms over her chest as she shifted her body towards him a little bit.

"What have you been up to?"