CHAPTER 7 - icy storm

"Okay so your telling me that you let him win?" I say picking at my food.
"Yeah I did, it's not my kind of thing." Harry pushes his pasta around on his plate.
"Well you'd want to make it your kind of thing if you want any kind of decent job around here, or decent reputation" Adam pitches in.
"Yeah I guess."
"Hey Alex didn't you win your fight? You like knocked some amity chick out or something." Jack chimes in and I tense.
"Nah I didn't beat a chicken jack." Everyone starts to laugh and jack goes a bright shade of red.

"Stiff time to go" Eric's voice comes from over my shoulder and I sigh. I stand from my chair and say farewell to my friends.
We walk along the corridors and into the training room.
Eric walks over to the mat and beckons me to follow him.
"Hit me" He says bluntly and I just raise an eyebrow.
"What?"
"I said hit me"

I pull back my wrist and go to hit him but he grabs my wrist in the process, twisting me around to face away from him.
"You need to be faster; you won't be against an amity girl next time.
I swallow hard as he lets go of my wrist.
"Again"
I pull my hand back again and throw it at his face, he catches it again.

"Your holding back"
"Am not, why would I?" I question, not looking at him.
"I suspected it during your fight earlier. You are using nowhere near as much force as you were at the punching bags. Why?" I take a deep breath realizing why I am holding back. I don't want to be a monster like Marcus, simple as that.

"It doesn't matter" I say harsher than I meant to.
"Don't take that tone with me. If you hold back you won't get a good ranking simple as that."
I take another shot at him, this time my fist connecting with his cheek, he winces slightly.
"Cheap shot, now we're talking" I smile at his dark humor. I stare into is eyes. They are like an icy storm, not quite grey but not blue.

A second later I find myself on the floor, he slide tackled me.
"You bastard!" I grit as he offers me a hand up.
I take it but instead of standing I drag him down to the ground. He shouts some choice words as he bangs his knee off the floor.
I huff before standing up. Eric gets up too and dusts his pants off.

"Hit me again"
I sigh heavily and he only laughs.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"I heard we are going on a trip tonight" Jane bounces along beside me.
"I hope we go swimming in the lake!" Adam adds and I only smile at the times Tobias and I used to sneak out to the lake.
"Well it's 10:30 now so I doubt we are going anywhere" Danny sighs as we arrive at the dorms.
"Well I don't know about you but I am getting some sleep. Goodnight" everyone hums a goodnight before walking into the dauntless born dorms leaving me and harry alone. I get into my bed and close my eyes, curling up under the blankets.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Everybody up!" I hear a shout from across the room as the lights flicker on.
"It can't be that time already!" Theo grumbles and Tobias scoffs.
"It's 4:00am, your going on a field trip"
Everyone gets up, I head to the bathroom with my clothes and Eric stops me on the way out. "Just get changed in here stiff"
I gulp knowing that my body is covered in scars and marks.
"I'm going into the bathroom" I challenge and he just sighs before standing out of my way.
I get changed and head back to the dorms just as everyone is leaving.

Harry and I walk together until we join with Adam, Danny, Jack and Jane.
"I told you!" Jane hollers and I roll my eyes.

We arrive at the tracks and the cold 4am air hits my skin. It's slightly damp from the morning dew that is forming. The sky is still pitch dark the only form of light being the moon.
I hear the click of the train coming on the tracks as the headlights shine comes into view. Before I know it the train goes whizzing past me. I sprint alongside and throw my self inside.

Once everyone is inside we look to Tobias and Eric.
"We're playing a game. It's simple. It's like capture the flag, each team will have a flag. Hide it, protect it, get the other teams flag" Tobias explains.
Eric stands forward with a small gun in his hand.
"Weapon of choice"
"Is that a water gun or something" jack sniggers and Eric turns around pulling the trigger the bullet lodging in jacks thigh. He falls to the ground, screaming in pain.
"Neuro stim dart. Simulates the pain of a real gunshot wound. Two teams four and I are captains."

"You pick first" Tobias insists and I furrow my brows.
"Okay, I'll take Alex"
The whole car gasps. Tobias looks furious.
"I take Theo" he fires back.

+•+•+•+•+•+•++•+•+•++•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"This is your flag, you decide what we do" Eric pulls a green illumines flag out of his pocket as we walk around the marshy outer city.
"We could hide it in the Hancock building?" Adam suggests and Eric shakes his head.
"Too obvious"
"What about an abandoned building?" I pitch into the argument and everyone turns to face me.
"Not a bad idea stiff" I bite my lip. It gets on my nerve when he calls me stiff.
We stand here for a minute, everyone still looking at me.
"Well lead the way" Eric says as if it's obvious.

I walk down the street, all the buildings are broken down, they've been abandoned for years. The windows are broken and the paint is flaking.
We stop outside a four story apartment block and I look back to Eric for permission to enter.
"Well go!" He sounds slightly annoyed, I just sigh.
I walk inside and up 4 sets of stairs until we reach the top floor.
"Okay some people should head out to look for their flag" Adam suggests and we agree.
"I'll go" I say and Adam pipes up too.
"I will too"
We make our way out of the building and as we are walking I spot something in the distance, as small as a pea hanging from the top of a building.
"Looks like they had the same idea as us" Adam looks to me and I shrug my shoulders.
"Well let's go then"

We start sprinting through the night air and when we get close to the building we slow down to ensure we are quiet. I take a deep breath as I load my gun. We burst through the doors and find Danny and Jack standing there, we caught them off guard.
I raise my gun to Danny and pull the trigger, the bullet lodging in his stomach. He yells out in pain and Adam shoots at jack. We run past them and run up a few flights of stairs until we reach the top.

The flag is in sight, I realize this is too easy.
"Hold It right there" I see Theo as I turn around his gun raised at me.
He shoots and it hits my leg, I grab it and scream.
He shoots adam in the chest causing him to fall to the ground.
"Too easy" he scoffs and as he says this I get all the power I have left together to shoot him in the shoulder. He screams out and falls to the ground.

I limp quickly over to the flag on the balcony and grab it. I holler so loudly while swinging it around in the air. I look out and see the other team glaring, then I spot Tobias. He smiles at me and I smile back.

I hear loads of feet hitting the stairs and turn around to see my team. Eric pats me on the back.
"Well done stiff" He says and everyone cheers.
"I think I've earned the right to be called by my name now" I can't help the smile that has grown across my face, my leg pain being overrun by the adrenaline.
"Fine, well done Alex" his lips are slightly curled at the sides.

Adam grabs me and puts me on his shoulders as we cheer in victory. He lets me down.
"Come on, your coming with me the guys for a dauntless tradition"