CHAPTER 10 - blood stained shirt

"My legs are killing me" Harry complains after our 10k morning run. I sigh as I pick at my hamburger.
"Well my head is killing me" Adam holds his hand to his head.
"Not our fault you went out last night" He raises his hands in defeat as Jane argues.
Everyone is participating in conversation except me, I can't stop thinking about last night.

-~-
"So 'hot' huh?" I tease whilst punching the bag.
"Stiff I'm not discussing this with you" I can tell he's embarrassed.
"So you didn't say that?"
No answer.
"So you did" I smile taking a satisfied swing at the bag.
"Yeah I think your pretty is that a crime or something?" He sounds annoyed and I stop swinging to look at him.
"Pretty now eh?" I say at his change of words.
"Keep swinging" I take another swing at my bag.
-~-

"What are you so smiley about?" I come back around to the real world to see I'm wearing a small smile.
"Nothing"
"Oh really? Wait you had training last night" Jane says in realization.
"What happened?" She squeals and I cringe.
"Nothing happened! Why are you guys so convinced that anything is going on" I laugh lightly at how interested everyone is.
"I've seen the way you look at him" jack says and I can feel a hot feeling in my cheeks that I ignore.
"I don't look at him a certain way. We are barely border line friends" I argue.
"I've also seen the way he looks at you when he thinks no ones watching" he continues and my cheeks go redder by the second.
"It's obvious you have a thing for him Alex, nothing to be embarrassed about." Harry smiles widely while saying this.
I just shake my head and look up at the clock in the dining hall.
"Guys we better get back to training" I change the subject standing from my chair.

We make our way through the corridors and into the training room to see the large mat in the middle of the room.
Tobias and Eric are standing behind it silently. Both have their arms crossed and aren't speaking a word to each other. When we walk in They swiftly move to the chalkboard.

"Final fights today. Only way to win today is by knockout. After your fight you are free to leave. Your rankings will be up after dinner in the dorms. Check your opponents" Eric explains his voice so monotone you wouldn't suspect we were about to beat the crap out of someone. Definitely not the same voice as last night. He spoke with such softness when he called me pretty.
I look up to the chalkboard and I sigh before I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Alex vs. harry

My eyes shoot up to look at harry who just smiles lightly in reassurance.
"First up Theo and Matthew!" Eric shouts and Theo and Matthew make their way up to the mat.
"Your going down" Theo teases, nothing but determination in his eyes.
"Considering you got bet by a girl I think I have a chance" Matthew fires back, which I don't appreciate.
"Aw just because you couldn't have her your getting all angry" Theo taunts.

Theo throws a punch knocking him off balance. Blood splutters from Matthews nose. Matthew hits Theo in the mouth and I swear I see a tooth fly out.
After a few minutes of back and forth the ring has blood splatters everywhere. They both have little to no energy left, but they must fight until the knockout.
With one last hit Theo falls to the ground, unconscious.
"Winner Matthew" Tobias sighs as he circles his name on the board.
Matthew wobbles off the mat and towards me.
"Did I win a date with the pretty lady eh?"
"No but you won this" I kick him in the balls and he groans.
"Go get a checkout Matthew" Tobias orders, giggling lightly.

"Next up Harry and Alex" Eric calls. I swear I hear some laughter in his voice.
Harry and I stand across from each other in the ring.
"Go!" Tobias calls and I go straight for Harry's legs, knocking him off his feet. He hits his head off the floor and I cringe.
"Alex it's okay, just do it"
I kick him into the stomach causing him to grunt.
I get down and punch his head continuously. My fingers connect with his temples causing him to go limb.

"Winner Alex. Well done Alex your the only one this year to have 3 out of three victories" Everyone applauds as I go a light pink from embarrassment.
"You can go now, we will deal with harry" Tobias explains and I nod. I walk out the door but wait outside for a moment.
Seconds later Eric comes out with a lifeless harry over his shoulder.
"What are you up to?" He raises an eyebrow.
"I'm coming with you to put my friend in the infirmary" I explain.
"You already put him in the infirmary"
"Very funny" I fake laugh as I follow Eric to the infirmary.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Stiff we've been sitting here two hours now, can't you just see him at dinner?" Eric's voice sounds impatient as we sit in the white waiting room.
"We've waited this long, whats a bit longer. You don't have to wait anyway" I play with my thumbs and hear him scoff.
"What?" I ask and he just looks at me.
"You really know how to make someone feel welcome don't you?"
"Your not so great at that yourself" I argue and he raises his hands in defeat.

"Hello sir. The initiate has been checked over and he is fine, we are keeping him in until  6,you can see him then as he's sleeping now" the nurse informs Eric before glancing at me.
"You should probably get cleaned up" her voice is so matter of fact as she looks at my blood stained clothes. I mutter a curse under my breath and nod. She walks off to tend to another patient I'm guessing, which here in Dauntless there is a lot of them.

"You can shower at mine if you want" Eric speaks so quickly I almost miss what he said.
"I can shower in the dorms it's no big deal" I reply and he looks at me with a disgusted face.
"That place is horrible, why would you want to shower where others can see you?" He asks and I shrug.
"I didn't say I wanted to but I don't know isn't it kind of weird letting an initiate use your shower?" I raise my eyebrows as we both stand from our seats exiting the infirmary.

"Only if you make it weird"
"Fine"