CHAPTER 8 - flying

We look over the edge of the Hancock building, the view is breathtaking. The dark sky full of stars and all the buildings below us.

"Who's first?" Adam says standing on the edge of the wall were the zip-line begins.
"I nominate Alex"
"Me too"
"Yes"
All of my friends turn against me and I sigh.
"Some friends you are"
I make my way onto the wall and Adam slides me into the sling. He tightens it and hands me a piece of string.
"This is the brake, pull it when you get to the bottom."

Without another word he pushes me and I go zooming through the air. I let out a big scream, it echoes off of the buildings as I slide down in between them.
The cold night air is most likely turning my face a bright shade of red right now but I don't care.
I fly past old office buildings and over old houses, I fly over the factionless sector, the tiny makeshift homes like ants from up here.
My mind flickers to nelly for a moment, I wonder how she is.
I am taken out of my thoughts by a wall that is nearing me. Without another second I yank the brake hard and I come to a stop.
I laugh heavily and release myself from the line.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"What did you think of the zip line last night?" Adam asks me as we walk through the halls of dauntless on our way to the training room.
"It was amazing. It felt like I was flying" I say still giggly from last nights events.

We arrive at the training room and I see the mats set up once again.
"You will be doing fights again today, check the chalkboard for your opponent" Eric says looking around the group but his eyes not meeting mine.

Alex and Theo

My eyes widen as I see the two names on the chalkboard.
I look to Eric, knowing he picks the fights. He still won't look at me.

"First up today is Alex and Theo" Tobias speaks, he does not sound happy.
I take a deep breath and make my way up to the mat.
Theo stares me in the face with a sick twisted smirk on his face.
"Hey stiff, you ready to feel the pain"
The flashback hits me.

~-~
I sit at the dinner table, it's been a week since Tobias left. I hear the door unlock and heavy footsteps stumble in.
"Where's Tobias" a very drunk Marcus asks and I swallow hard.
"He left last week"
"God dammit! It's your fault you stupid bitch"
I shake at his angry movements and know what's coming when he relaxes.
He pulls the belt from around his trousers and takes it in his hand.
"You ready to feel the pain?" He laughs sickly before the leather connects with my back.
~-~

I feel a fist connect with my jaw and I snap back to reality.
I don't know what comes over me but I get back up off the floor and knock him the hardest punch I think I've ever given anyone. It hits him straight in the nose, causing a crack.
I kick him hard in the balls and he falls to the ground.
I kick him in the stomach and head and see blood everywhere but I don't dare stop.
"He's had enough" I hear Tobias' voice but I continue to kick him until he is unconscious.

"Winner Alex, someone get him to the infirmary, now. Tell them he has a broken nose severe bleeding" Tobias announces and I stand back in shock of what I have just done as they drag his limp body away.
It's not like yesterday when they brought Shania away, I had just knocked her out. I had badly injured him, he could have bled out.

I slowly back my way out of the room without being excused and I run. I sit at the edge of the chasm, not jumping obviously but it's a quiet place. Most people are in work at this time so it's empty.
I breath heavily holding back tears.

"Your not going to jump are you?" Eric's rough voice comes from beside me. I don't answer I just close my eyes, hoping he doesn't see the tears that have welled inside of them.
"Why did you run out of there? That was a good fight" he says softly.
"I should have stopped, I kept going. I didn't want to but something inside made me. I'm a monster. I'm just like him" I say and I begin to breath heavily.

"Like who?" I don't answer once again.
"Like who Alex?"
"It doesn't matter! Why do you care so much?" I shout and I open my eyes to look at him.
"Have you been crying?" He asks sitting down beside me.
"No, I haven't cried since I was 10" I admit and his eyes widen.
"Well you look like your about to cry. Alex why do you think your a monster?" He asks one final time.
"I don't want to talk about it"
"Fine whatever. But just so you know your not a monster" he says it harshly standing up and offering me a hand up to.

"Come on you need to wash your hands" I take his hand up and some of Theo's blood transfers onto his and he laughs lightly.
"Looks like I need to wash my hands to" I try to smile and he lets go of my hand.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Training dismissed for the day, you will have your final fight in two days time and your stage one rankings will go up that evening. That is all" Tobias says as he leaves.

"Alex, wait back" the rest of the transfers file out and I walk back to Eric.
"Is training starting now?" I question and he shakes his head.
"We're skipping training for the night"
"Then why am I here and not eating dinner?" I question and Eric fiddles with his thumbs.

"I think we need to talk about earlier" he says and I roll my eyes.
"I found you sitting at the edge of the chasm! It's not just something that I can forget. Look if you want me to leave it alone you have to explain it to me" He screams and I just take a deep breath.
"I wasn't going to jump"
"Then why were you there?"
"I needed space"
"Why did you need space though?" He throws questions at me like there is no tomorrow.
"Because-" I swallow hard and without another word a tear falls down my cheek, it feels foreign to my skin.

"Because what Alex? Who is this monster you are afraid of being like?"
"Because my father used to hit me okay?!? Happy now?" Another tear falls. Eric is frozen in his position.

"Eaton" is all he says as if he's putting things together.
"Your Eaton's kid aren't you. The accusations..."
"They're true" I now begin to heavily sob.
"And Four? The same thing?" Eric asks, as if he's unable to believe this. I only nod.
Eric looks around before quickly pulling his arms around me.
"It's okay, shhh it's okay" He coos as I just cry into his chest. He gently strokes my hair trying to calm me down.
"Your hear now, he can't hurt you anymore."

We sit here for what feels like forever, him holding me in his embrace as I cry. It's a simple gesture but it means so much.