CHAPTER 29 - applause

Breathing, what an underrated thing. As we quickly walk through the corridors after a weary Adam I am lost for breath.  I don't know what's happening he hasn't told us. I steal a glance at Eric who looks just as worried as I do.

I get a bad feeling in the bottom of my stomach as we arrive in the pit. I see an all too familiar large crowd around the chasm. At this point I know exactly what's happened, I stop in my tracks.
"No" is all I manage.
"Alex-"
"No!" I cut Adam off mid sentence. With that I sprint over to the group of people and push my way up to the front, I am quickly followed by Eric and Adam. I cover my hand with my mouth to mask the sob that has escaped.
I see my best friend strung across the floor, on display for everyone to see. His face pale, his lips blue but his hair still a shiny blonde only now it is wet and matted. His eyes are deep pools of emotionless black.

"Why didn't anyone stop him!" I scream as a hot tear rushes down my cheek.
"No one saw it happen" that's when it hits me.

Harry didn't jump,
He was pushed.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Do you want some tea?" Eric piped up for the first time since we arrived at his apartment. I quickly shut his offer down with a shake of my head.
"You have to drink or eat something, Harry's service is in a half hour" it sounds so wrong to here. I can't understand it, it's almost as if the words aren't being said. The room goes silent for a moment leaving me drown in my thoughts.

"Alex?" I look directly at him as he offers me a sad smile.
"What?"
"Talk to me, tell me what's on your mind"
"I don't think he jumped" I let the words fall out of my mouth, what's the point in keeping them in. He looks at me in confusion, his brows furrowed.
"Why would you say that?" I sigh deeply.
"He was divergent, I think he was pushed" Eric's eyes grow wide as if he's seen a ghost. He takes a moment before speaking again.
"Well then, the only question left is who did it" he doesn't chastise me or argue with me for not telling him sooner, I appreciate it more than words can express.
"I have no idea, it can only realistically have been one person though, and we both know who it is" my words sound harsh, exactly how they should.
"I swear to god I'll get her blonde bob and fuck her over the edge of the chas-"
"Hey hey no need to be getting angry about this, we will sort it, I promise. Just focus on your grief." I close my eyes and rest into Eric's shoulder.

"I'm just.." I stop
"Just what?"
"Terrified, of loosing you too" and my brother, but I can't say that.
"You aren't going to loose me, I swear. But if there is anyone else like Harry I need you to tell me right now"
I think long and hard about my next move. I remember my brothers words, begging me not to tell anyone, but then I remember my best friends body, lifeless and still.

"My, my brother" I stop as the tears come to my eyes again.
"Four? He's...?"
"Yes, he is. Eric I can't loose you both! I just can't" I burst into a sob.
"Listen to me, just listen. Your not going to loose me, or four. We are going to get to the bottom of this. Let's go find your brother before the ceremony" I nod my head, quickly standing from my seat. We speed walk out the door and down a flight of stairs to reach my brothers apartment. We stand outside the door and I put a hand on Eric's chest.

"Just give me a minute alone with him first" he nods in understanding and stands out of sight. I knock heavily and desperately on the door, receiving a quick open. His hazel eyes widen before he ushers me inside.
"I heard about Harry, I'm so sorry Alex how are you coping?"
"Don't"
"Don't what?"
"Be so nice to me I treated you like absolute shit so don't you dare be that nice to me" I feel guilt wash over me as I realize I rejected my brother for being himself. He walks over to me and engulfs me in a hug.
"I'm your big brother Alex, I'll always forgive you with no question. Now isn't a time for an argument, let's get you ready for this ceremony. " I close my eyes and breathe deeply.

"Not yet, please don't be mad, Eric come in!" Tobias tenses at my words his stare deepening into my sole.
"You didn't....." his eyes squint a little.
"I couldn't loose you too!"
"Well now your going to loose me anyway!"
"No, she's not," Eric interrupts our quarrel both of our states turning to him.
"Four, I'm divergent too." And just now, I see something in Tobias I've never seen, he looks defeated.
"Then What are you doing here?"
"We need to figure out who pushed Harry"

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Harry was a brave young man, always to be remembered as a top class initiate."
The words that fall out of Eric's mouth just make me feel bitter inside, how could this all be happening.
"As dauntless we don't dwell on those who pass, we celebrate there lives. Can I get a round of applause for Harry please" the room goes silent and all you can here is the buzz of the microphone.

The room breaks out in applause and cheers, hollers and whistles. It feels wrong, it is wrong. The death of someone shouldn't be a celebration, it should be a mournful time, a time to grieve. But here the cheer and pop open a few cans to hide the pain.
Once everyone quiets down the ceremony comes to an end, I feel Eric's hand wrap around my waist pulling me close to him.

"I swear to you, I will not let this happen to anyone again"