CHAPTER 23 - a lunch

I sit here in the waiting room, not really contributing to the conversation between my friends.
"Where'd you get off to last night? Oh yeah training" Jane reminds herself mid sentence.
"Yeah I was"

Thoughts from last night flood my mind. The sent of his cologne, the softness of his lips, the feeling of his hands in my hair. It was by far the best train ride I have ever had.
"Actually I was on cleaning duty for both training rooms, you weren't there" Tobias pitches in from across the room. I don't even look at him.
"Well it's actually none of your business where I was Four" I spit my words before crossing my arms.
"What's up with you and your brother?" Adam whispers and I just roll my eyes.
"You wouldn't believe me if I told you"
"Alex, your up" I hear Harry's voice and it sends a cold shiver through my spine. I know Eric told me Divergents aren't dangerous, but it's still kind of frightening knowing that your best friend doesn't fit into a Faction.
Without looking up from the floor I give a small nod before entering the room, closing the door behind me.

"Hey" Eric's voice fills the room as he approaches me. I don't know what he'll do, will he hug me? Will he kiss me? Will he pat my pack?
He pulls me into his embrace before ushering me to sit in the chair.
"You've faces three of your five fears, I'm guessing you know what's coming next" I nod my head lost for words.
"Hey, could you get Four to take care of the rest of the landscapes after mine and maybe grab some lunch?" He seems surprised at my question as he nears me with the prepped needle.
"What about harry?"
"I don't want to talk to him"
"Say no more, I'll ask your brother after this." He injects my neck and I feel his lips plant a kiss on my head as I fade away.

-~-
I look around and see I'm in the pit. I see a group of people standing around the chasm. I quickly make my way over to see what all the fuss is about and then I see the two bodies strung across the floor.
Tobias and Harry's
There bodies lay lifeless on the floor.
"I heard that they jumped"
"I heard they were pushed"
"I heard they were Divergents" I hear members of the crowd whispering.
I bend down between the two and a single tear slips down my cheek. I know it's not real, but it sure as hell feels real. My brother and best friend lay lifeless before me.
"Hey there's another one!" I here max shout as two members rope up another body. I gasp heavily.
"Eric!" I run over to his body. He's paler than usual, his eyes completely blank, the strangled and fearful expression still on his face.
"No no no! The three of you can't just leave me! Wake up" I shake his body vigorously as my tears build up on his leader vest.
-~-

"Your awake, your awake, it's okay. Four's fine, Harry's fine, I'm fine" I sit still in the chair, Eric's arms around me trying to comfort me.
"Do you want to talk about it?"
"No"
"Let's go get some lunch then" he puts his hand on my lower back until we arrive at the door. I walk out after Eric.
"Four she's pretty shaken up after the landscape, I'm going to escort her to get some food."
"I can do that" four stands up and I shake my head.
"Eric can" he nods and sits back down in a cowardly fashion. Eric begins to make his way in front of me so I bend down close to Tobias.
"Don't worry, I kept your little secret" my voice full of a danger I didn't know I possessed. I quickly follow after Eric.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"Are you sure you want to grab food with me? Might hurt your reputation"
"Of course I am don't be silly. Hey look there's Carlyle over there" I point to Eric's friend in the far side of the hall. He nods and leads the way.
"Why hello there!" Carlyle has always been that fun guy who can't take anything seriously, that's one thing I like about him. He looks between Eric and I with a sheepish grin growing.
He has a similar haircut to Eric, but the only difference is his hair is a fiery red. Carlyle was a Dauntless born, it's clear by his attitude.
"Carlyle can you ever just you know.. be cool" Eric's words make me laugh lightly as we take a seat across from his buddy.
"Of course, I mean there is hardly anything going on here" his voice is laced with sarcasm.

I grab a serving of pasta from the center of the table.
"So have you guys made out up yet?"
"Carlyle Anthony Anderson shut your fucking mouth" Eric playfully hits his friends arm as I turn a beetroot pink.
"So you haven't?" No one answers.
"So you have?" No answer.
"Knew it"
"Carlyle, shut your fucking mouth, nothing happened"
"Yes it did" I but in and Eric's eyes widen.
"What? Your embarrassed?" I feel a pang of regret in my heart, maybe he is embarrassed, embarrassed of me.
"Of course not, I thought you would be"
"So are you two dating?"
"No" we say in unison.
"Not yet"
"No labels"
We both look at each other and then back to our food.
"Well leave it to you to make it awkward buddy" Eric looks to his friend and we all just break into laughter.
"You'll thank me one day Eric, you'll thank me one day"

For the first time today I'm not thinking about Tobias, I'm not thinking about Harry, I'm not thinking about divergence, I'm not thinking about the chasm. I'm thinking about how ridiculously cute Eric's laugh is.