CHAPTER 31 - waves

My eyes slowly open and I suddenly feel warm, strong arms around my waist. A smile washes over me as I think of last night.

-~-

"So are you heading home or?" Eric's words seem to have a hidden tone to them.
"I don't know, my apartment doesn't really feel like a home yet. Could I just crash at yours for the night?" I hope I'm not to forward.
"I was hoping you'd say that"
We arrive outside His apartment and he lets us in.
"Here I'll get you some clothes to sleep in" He heads for his room before tossing me some boxer shorts and a T-shirt. I quickly change not bothering to go to the bathroom, he's already seen my scars.
"Okay I'll see you in the morning then, good night Alexa" he's just about to leave when I spontaneously grab his arm.
"Stay" his eyes soft as they look deeply into mine.
"Are you sure?"
"If I wasn't I wouldn't have asked"

-~-

"Good morning" He croaks turning me to face him.
"Morning, hey what time is it?"
"It's 1:00pm, god we slept in" my eyes widen.
"I promised the guys I'd meet them for lunch 20 minutes ago" I leap from the bed and throw on my clothes from yesterday.
"I'll see you later" I kiss Eric's forehead before sprinting out the door.

I run to the dining hall ,out of breath when I arrive. I look around for my friends before I see them sitting in the corner of the hall.
"Hey guys sorry I'm late" I puff as I sit on the chair.
"No worries. We were just talking about starting work." Danny smiles.
"Oh don't start me" I grunt.
"When does your training start?" Jack stirs his coffee with the end of a spoon, one of his nasty habits.
"Not for a month or so, it's not meant to be difficult. When do you guys start?"
"4 days, sucks to be common" Danny jokes causing me to roll my eyes.
"What did you get up to last night huh?" The giddy tone Jane uses causes me to blush.
"When?"
"With Eric, when he whisked you away from dinner" She states, whilst nudging me.
"Oh so that's where you got to" Adams voice is so flat that something snaps inside of me.

"I'm so fed up of this" I sigh.
"What are you talking about?" He huffs.
"You. Every time Eric is mentioned you make a snarky comment or a face or something. I'm sick of it! What's your problem?" I let out everything I've been feeling for the past few weeks.
"My problem is that you deserve better than him! He's heartless! He's using you. There are so many guys that would give anything to have you, and you choose him. I just don't see it."

"He isn't any of those things! And I'm lucky to have someone like him, I don't want anyone else. And for the record what other guys would give anything to have me? Your just making shit up now"
"I would okay? I like you! I have since the first moment I saw you on that train. He doesn't deserve you!" Adams words hit me like a bunch of bricks.
I can feel all eyes at the table on me. Without a word I stand from my seat, slowly walking away from the scene. Just then I see Eric near us, clearly after hearing everything judging by his facial expression.

"Eric" I warn but he just walks straight passed me and pulls Adam from his seat roughly.
"Go on- hit me" Adam jeers.
"Don't you ever talk to my girlfriend like that, ever"
"Girlfriend? Oh so that's what happened last night" Eric grabs the collar of Adams shirt and glares at him.
"You don't deserve her, she'll realize that soon" with that Eric's fist connects with Adams face. Again and again and again.

"Stop!" I scream, no response. I run out of the hall with Jane calling after me.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

The sound of the water crashing against the rocks is a lot more calming than you might think. I sit here at the edge of the chasm, my feet dipping into the water. I never knew this place existed, no one comes down here. That's when I decided it was perfect.

I finish the contents of my bottle, the liquid burning on the way down. I've lost track of how many I've had. The original idea was enough to forget. Forget about everything that has happened over the past few days. I have definitely surpassed that expectation as I can hardly remember my own name.

"Alex?" I hear my name being said but ignore it and just crack open another bottle. I feel a presence beside me and a hand on my knee. My eyes look up his tattooed arm and into his guilty looking blue eyes.
"Hear me out-"
"There's nothing to hear out. It's not a big deal. He deserved it." I try my best to make my words clear but I slur. I snake my hands around his neck pulling myself onto his lap.

"Alex-"
I plant my lips on his neck, moving my body with every kiss.
"Alexa how much did you drink?" I can hear him panting as he speaks.
"Just shut up and kiss me" I begin to kiss his collarbone and tighten my grip around his neck.
"Alex we cant do this now"
"Why not?" I move my kiss onto him mouth in attempt to shut him up. He removes his lips from mine.
"I made a promise to you that we wouldn't have our first time when you weren't fully aware of what your doing."

He flips me around on his lap so that we're both facing the water.
We sit silent for a moment before Eric's words fill the air.
"This whole situation is fucked up"
"Agreed"
"You don't.. like him do you?" For once Eric doesn't sound like a man, he sounds like an anxious teenager.
"Of course I don't" I defend.
"Good. I don't think I could cope if you did" the humor in his voice is clearly a coverup. No matter how drunk I am I can tell he's not okay.

"Are you okay?"
"Of course I am" he defends and I'm still not satisfied. I decide I'm not in the fit state to press the topic further so I toss him a bottle. I'll ask him tomorrow.
He quickly opens the bottle before emptying the contents into his throat.

We sit here for what feels like forever. The last thing I remember is laying in Eric's arms before everything goes black.