CHAPTER 18 - holding hands

"What happened to you Alex?"
"Where were you last night?"
"Are you okay?"
"Is that a bruise on your cheek?"

My friends bombard me with questions as I enter the dining hall for dinner.
"I'm fine"
"Your Fine? You disappeared when we were supposed to go out and then we didn't see you till the next morning, we're going to need a little more than that."
"I got injured really badly last night"
"Injured really badly? Like a fight or beaten up?" I look down to my hands, not answering.
"Who did this to you? I swear to god I'm gonna Kill them" Adams eyes turn to fire as he examines my face.
"It- it doesn't matter" I stutter, remembering back to the other night.

"Alex, please tell us who it was" Jane pleads.
"It was Theo" I blurt out.
"I'm gonna Kill him" Jack and Adam say in unison standing from their seats.
"I heard he's in the infirmary though" Danny's eyebrows furrow.
"When'd you here that?" My voice cracks when I speak.
"Apparently He was checked in early this morning, badly beaten" I can't help but smile lightly. I know who did it.

"Where'd you go for the rest of the night then?" Harry sits across from me, clearly worried about me.
"Um well I was unconscious, and the next morning I woke up in Eric's place. He found me and let me crash at his because of my injuries."
"You stayed at Eric's apartment? Like in his bed?" Jack, Adam, Danny and Harry don't seem happy, Jane is smiling brightly.
"Oh my god you did? What was it like? Did he stay in the bed with you? Hm? Hm?"
"Jane this isn't a good thing!" Adam scolds.
"Yeah I stayed in his apartment. He insisted on watching over me"
"I'm sure he did" Adam spits, sarcasm laced with every word.
"Hey stop it the lot of you. Can't you see she's had a hard enough time?" Harry defends me.
"I'm sure she found it so awful living with her boyfriend" Adams tone of voice doesn't sit well with me.
"First of all he's not my boyfriend. Second of all what is it to you if he was?"
"I care about you al! I don't want you getting your heart broken by some tool"
"He's not my boyfriend" I just start picking at my food.
I think back to yesterday.

Our foreheads are touching,
"Still pretty"
I lift my forehead away from Eric's, staring into his eyes.
"Hey it's pretty close to dinner, you should go get ready" his words send a sadness through me.
"Can't we just stay here, like this" I say referencing to his arms snaked around my waist.
"As much as I'd like that, your friends will be worried about you" I sigh as he unwraps his hands from around me.
"Can we train after dinner?"
"Alex, your injured you can't"
"I have an idea. Meet me at the tracks at 7.00"
"Why? what are you up to?" His confused voice just makes me laugh.
"See you at 7:00" I chirp before walking, more like limping out the door.
"God Alex your so difficult!" Is all I here before I shut the door behind me

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I stand by the tracks waiting . Surely it must be seven at this stage.
"Hey" his voice makes me jump and I turn on my heels.
"Hey"
"Where are we going?" Eric asks, looking around.
"You'll see" as we speak the train passes causing us to sprint. Eric jumps in in front of me, turning back offering me a helping hand. I refuse it, pushing it back inside. I grab the side of the train and pull myself in, sitting down beside him.

"Your so stubborn, you know that right?" I laugh at the smart remark.
"So I've been told" I lean my head on Eric's shoulder involuntarily. This causes him to place his head on top of mine. I look out the open doorway across from me, the sky is red at the moment before everything goes dark. Since it's summer the days are way longer, it doesn't make much of a difference living in Dauntless since we stick to the indoors. I miss the late evenings outside with my brother in abnegation. We would sit on the roof of our house watching the sun set.
I'm snapped out of my thoughts as I see the small makeshift huts through the doorway.

"Come on lets go" I stand up and offer a hand which he takes.
"The factionless sector?" His face is the definition of confusion.
"Yeah, just trust me"
We jump out, embarrassingly his hand is still holding mine. I look down and acknowledge it but I don't let go, neither does he.
I lead the way through the rubbish filled streets looking for the familiar tiny hut that has become my second home. I spot it and knock on the door.
"Alex..."
"Just shh"

"Alexa darling is that you?" Her sweet voice fills the air.
"Yes nelly it is. Hi" I see excitement spread across her face.
"Oh come in, come in" she gestures me and Eric inside. I head to the small living space sitting on the couch beside Eric, whilst nelly sits in the rocking chair.
"So Alexa, how are you? How's Dauntless treating you?"
"It's great nelly, so much better than before"
Nelly's smile widens as her eyes land on Eric.
"So who's this young man?" Eric smiles a genuine smile as he introduces himself.
"My names eric m'am" any other leader would've been all over showing off their position, but not him.
"Is He your boyfriend?" Nelly tries to whisper but it comes out louder than she intended, causing Eric's smile to widen.
"No" both Eric and I say before I blush.
"Then why are you holding hands" I automatically go to let go of Eric's hand and so does he.

"So nelly how've you been keeping?" I change the subject but my cheeks are still hot with embarrassment.
"Same as usual sweetly, same as usual" I know that means she's not great, how could anyone be living in these conditions.
"Alexa is that a fresh bruise?" She reaches across and touches my collarbone, the pain causing me to squirm.
"It's the fights" I assure her and she nods before quickly smiling again.
"What?"
"Your holding hands again" my blush grows wilder as I only now notice Eric's warmth on my skin. This time I don't bother moving it.
"Friends can hold hands too nelly" I argue, not quite sure if the terminology sits with me. Are we just friends, are we less are we more? Who knows.
"Yeah yeah whatever you want to believe honey"