CHAPTER 17 - still pretty

My eyes slowly open, blearily looking around the room. It's not the dorms, or that dark hallway. It's an unfamiliar bedroom with a familiar scent that I can't quite put my finger on.
I see the bed is empty except for me. I go to move and my whole body aches heavily. I let out a wince as I fold back the bedsheets. I take a deep breath before swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, planting them on the ground. I slowly walk along the cold oak floorboards eventually reaching the door. My legs ache so badly that tears well up in my eyes, I don't let them escape.
I push through the doorway and I feel the weight being lifted off the door, someone at the other side. It opens back and I'm shocked at who is standing before me.

"Eric?"
"Alex you need to rest. Go back to bed"
"Why am I here?"
"No questions. Go back to bed, we'll talk about it when you wake up"
I decide he's right. After last night I'm in no condition to be walking around.
"Fine" I say as I turn around to limp back to the bed.
"Here let me help" he puts an arm around my waist, shivers fly up my spine at his sudden touch. He supports me until I reach the bed.
"Sleep tight" his voice is soft, like a lullaby.
My mother used to sing to me before she died. Every night before I would sleep she would sing me this same lullaby.

You are my sunshine, My only sunshine.
You make me happy, When skies are grey.
You never know dear, How much I love you.
Please don't take my Sunshine away .

I hum this song to myself at this moment, closing my eyes and slowing my breathing. I'm out like a light.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+••+•+•+•+•+•+

I hear a door click open and my eyes fly open. I sit up quickly and look around, there's no one here. I walk out of the room, facing a big struggle to do so. I look around Eric's apartment, I can't see him anywhere.
"Eric you here?" I shout and he doesn't answer.
'Maybe he's in the bathroom.' I think to myself.
I sit down into the sofa and take a deep breath, then I notice something.
The front door is left ajar, I knew I heard a door. I look down to the clothes I'm in and see that they are bloody. I cuss and bite my lip before quickly making my way back to Eric's bedroom despite the pain.

I grab one of his T-shirt's and shorts from his closet before quickly sliding on my shoes again. I take a deep breath in the material to my nose, he smells so good.
I head out of the apartment leaving the door open, not like anyone would dare to steal from Eric. I look around the hallways and can't see anything. Then I hear an argument taking place a flight down. I quickly run for the stairs and sprint down.

Right before me stands Eric and my brother, screaming at him.
"Why was she at your apartment then?!?" His eyes are full of anger.
"Because she was injured" Eric is trying to keep his cool.
"I thought I told you to stay away from her?" Tobias' words let off a flame in me. Anger wells up inside of me as I make myself visible around the corner.
"You what?" I stare at Tobias and see them both rush towards me.
"Alex you should be resting, not out here running" Eric's voice is soft in attempt to calm me.
"Alex come on your coming with me to my apartment" Tobias tries to convince me like I didn't hear what he just said.
"You told Eric to stay away from me?! That's why he was acting so distant. How could you? You promised not to interfere anymore"
"He's dangerous!!! I'm just looking out for you. Please if you never listen to me about anything again listen now Alex"

"Come on Eric let's go back to your apartment" I begin to walk.
"But Alex-" Eric tries to but in, not wanting me to fight with my brother.
"It wasn't a question Eric, we have a lot to talk about" I walk back up the stairs the anger still blazing in my veins.

I walk inside and sit on the couch, taking a deep breath.
I sense Eric sit across from me. Without looking at him I speak.
"Why'd you listen to him?"
"Because I thought he was right. That I'd do you more bad than good. He really convinced me" his words make my stomach drop.
"I was really hurt when you told me it was your job, honestly would've hurt less to get beat up again" it may sound like I'm telling a joke but it's the truth.
"I'm so sorry Alex, I never meant to hurt you"
He shifts uneasily, fidgeting with his thumbs as he talks.

"Did you mean it?"
"Mean what?"
"When you said it was your job? That it was because of my father" my question catches him off guard.
"God no, I hung out with you and was nice to you because I genuinely enjoy spending time with you" his words bring a light smile to my swollen cheeks.
"Do you still think I'm pretty" the question comes out.
"Of course" his sure voice sends a sense of reassurance that he cares through me.
"Even like this" I say gesturing the my swollen face and bruised body.
"Especially like this, it shows that your strong." His words create butterflies in my stomach that I've never felt before.
"You wanna see something no one has ever seen before?" I ask standing up moving towards him.
"Only if you want to show me" he's so thoughtful and considerate.

I turn around, my back facing him. I lift up my shirt so he can see my full back. It's covered in scars from my abnegation life.
"Alex?" He asks.
"Yeah"
"They aren't from yesterday are they?"
"You know where they're from" he runs his cold fingers over my bare back before spinning me around, our foreheads touch.
"Still pretty" He whispers.