olympus

Annabeth's POV: 

I wake to the early morning sun across the beach, and Leo's horrible singing as he cooks our first meal of the new day. Hazel smiles at me as she stretches out on the bed, trying to get up. I guess it's just one of those mornings for everyone...but, not me. Today I am bursting with excitement. Reason being, to see Percy again after our interesting night. Also, not to mention nervous because I still feel like something could happen.

The merge is approaching fast, and no one knows when it is exactly, that is for us to find out when the time comes. My curiosity heightens when I hear what Travis has to say, sitting on a log near the campfire; "Rumor has it that today may be the day of the merging into two groups."

Leo shrugs, as I push myself up and walk over, the col morning seeping onto my bare arms, "The numbers seem right, but this is Survivor. Everything and anything is unpredictable."

"But you got to admit, it'll probably happen today," Connor comments, striding into camp with fish hanging off his arm.

"Aye! Where'd you get those?" Travis asks.

"By the river along the border of the Beauty Tribe's camp. I named it River Connör," He says smugly.

"That accent does not sound right," I say, settling across from them all, facing the water.

"That accent does not sound right," He mimics me, smiling as he does so, before handing Leo one of the fishes and handling the rest himself.

"If my numbers are correct, we'll merge today, vote off four people in those next days. Then merge once more, a final time into individuals. There should be eleven of us left by then," Nico speaks up, taking a seat beside Hazel. Hm, those two have gotten awfully close over the last 24 hours. But so, have you and Percy, a voice taunts me in my head. Shut up, I tell it.

Focusing back on the conversation, I hear Leo saying, "Do you guys think we'll all be friends after this?"

We all just sit there for the next five minutes and think. Will we? I mean its high-stress game, so of course you'll bond through that, and we'll have gone through things most people don't go through together. But then again there is also the blindsiding, backstabbing and not knowing who to trust, resulting in us being suspicious of one another all the time too.

Before I can get a thought out, Hazel says, "I think we will," she says, pausing in silence. We hear the soft crash of the waves curling into itself. A sort of peaceful moment between us all. She continues, "It will be hard, but all relationships take work and effort. And I feel that, yeah, some people in this game will not be talking to one another ever again because of the money. But I have a sense that you guys at least, are better than that and will be able to overlook it."

"How do you know?" Leo asks, softly. It was almost as if he asked how would she be able to predict what is most important to humans.

Her gaze falls on his, hesitating slightly, "Because the most precious thing in the world is human connection. Friendship. Love."

***

When Jeff walks into camp, cameras following his wake, we all kind of stand bolt right up. Hazel and I were chatting on the hammock, as Leo and Travis just came out of the water from a swim. And Connor was doing to dishes with Nico, talking all about his river.

"Hello Brains Tribe, as I assume you all suspect what day it is?" He greets.

"Yes, Jeff," I answer on behalf of everyone, who are still processing the happenings at the moment. I chuckle to myself silently.