silent tears

Annabeth's POV

"Okay, today's challenge you'll be sparing," He says, making me perk up even more if that's possible. "Everyone will be paired with another person from the other side in the sand circle." I look behind him and sure enough, there is a sand circle with fences on its perimeter on the beach. He continues, "In one hand you will be holding a platform with a statue balancing on it. In the other will be a dummy sword. Meaning it won't hurt you if you hit one another."

"What's the goal?" Leo speaks out again and I sigh softly to myself. Calypso nudges him slightly and they settle into their little argument, mostly flirting though if I'm going, to be honest.

"The goal is," Jeff goes on, looking us all over. "You must knock the other person's statue off its platform or knock the person themselves off balance. Each time a person from your tribe does this, you earn a point. Whichever team has the most points, in the end, wins a reward. Want to know the reward survivors?"

We all nod eagerly, and my mouth drools a little – matching Percy from earlier – when he uncovers a variety of meat. Everyone gasps and elbows their teammates in confidence that they'll win. I can't let my hopes rise, and I certainly can't show that weakness in front of the others. Nobody notices me turn away and force myself to not look...well everyone but Percy. He looks at me and whispers, "We'll win Wise Girl,"

"We better," I mutter.

Jeff looks us all over and the cameras pick up on every reaction, giving the editors enough of a choice for building the drama and emotion of the show. "Ready?"

"Yes," we all answer in sync.

Walking to the area on the beach, we take our places. My nerves build like Mount Everest. Taking our places on opposite mats, Jeff calls out the first two names to battle it out.

"Leo and Drew!"

Both Percy and I groan, Leo is so going to win. But then I think about how Drew plays the game and how she somehow manages to pull to the top, so I think she may be a stronger player than she admits, or anyone realizes. I look to Piper on the Thessaly team and sees she knows Drew's potential and purses her lips together in a thin line.

Leo and Drew enter the ring, waves crashing in the background. "Survivors ready...go!" Jeff says.

Leo begins circling Drew, quick on his feet. Drew barrels toward him, a force to be reckoned with, but that doesn't seem to faze Leo one bit as he dodges out of the way. He quickly slides underneath her, kicking his leg out for her to fall. Drew loses her balance and the statue dips but doesn't fall off much to Leo's disappointment.

"Oh, come on!" He murmurs loudly. I chuckle silently.

"You got this Drew!" I shout. Maybe some encouragement will help??

Drew charges Leo and he backs away, feet moving fast around her once again. Now Drew is really beginning to get angry, steam coming from her ears like a kettle. Leo slides under Drew, knocking her off balance, the statue falling to the ground. Silence and then cheers from the other team as my team tells Drew she did good, but she just ignores us and walks out of the arena in annoyance.

"One point to Thessaly! Next are Calypso and Percy!"

Clapping Perce on the back I say, "You got this Seaweed Brain." He grins at me before stepping into the arena and placing his statue on his pedestal. Unlike Drew and Leo who decided to not use the swords, both Percy and Calypso picks theirs's up.

Percy spins his around like he's done this a million times...maybe he has, who knows? "On the count of three, survivors ready....one....two...three!" Jeff shouts, the cameras zooming in on Percy and Calypso.