the wait

Photo by Siyuan on Unsplash 

We have to wait basically 6 months to find out who won. I'll spare you the boring, long details of the wait and tell you the more interesting stuff. 

Percy and I began going on day trips to get to know one another more, out of the game. It was weird to not watch for a camera or another competitor to see when he slipped his hand into mine that one chilly night in the city of New York.

I sit with him, watching the Broadway production of Hadestown. He glances at me with those piercing, gorgeous sea-green eyes and I am undone. "Ready for the show, Wise Girl?" he whispers.

I think about how quickly my life is changing. This boy who I facetime with at 1 am, who knows every insecurity and burden I carry - and vice versa - who I met in the most unlikely environment for love is looking at me with affection and eyes that see every emotion I hide. I have met so many friends in the game, have become closer with Thalia's brother - Jason - and my career is beginning to go boost. The show is coming out so soon.

In that moment, in the darkness of the theatre - seconds before the show - I realize this new chapter in my life has begun. I look at him, smiling, "Yes, I'm ready." The curtains open and I welcome it, grabbing Percy's hand between the carpeted seats.

***

"POPCORN PEOPLE!" Leo shouts while handing Calypso his hoodie cause she's cold.

We all sit in Thalia and Luke's apartment, the television playing this other random show that is ending. Survivor, the first episode, will be starting soon. And all of us cannot contain our excitement.

Lee comes to me, shaking my shoulders in her eagerness. She asks breathlessly, "I can't believe it's happening!! I'm so nervous." I laugh as she bends down, resting her hands on her bent knees and she breathes deeply.

"You played the game amazingly," I encourage, smiling. I hand her a cup of lemonade, "Here. Go sit and enjoy this moment."

Piper jumps up and down with Hazel and Jason in the living room as the show starts. We hear Jeff's signature voice, "Welcome to Survivor." We all scream in excitement.

I hurry over, sour patch kids in hand, and wedge myself between Percy and Piper. We all go quiet when they show the preview shots - showing the most intense moments of the game. I see us sweating profusely during challenges with faces etched with pain, I see me crying, I hear the hollow wind blowing around the island of edge of extinction and see those dull rocks I used to look at every day, I see the Stolls goofing off, and us all being showed before the word 'Survivor' is displayed.

We then see the boat. Gosh, that feels like so long ago. It was only just under a year ago. Wow. I see myself looking over everything with all-too analytical eyes. I see Leo eyeing a watermelon. I see Piper glancing a couple times at Jason. It all feels so weird seeing it all from this perspective. To relive it all.

"I ship Leo and the watermelon," Piper comments, earning an uncomfortable grunt from him.

"I was hungry, okay?" he shrugs, tightening his grip on Calypso's hand.

"Yeah, yeah Repair Boy," she giggles.

***

"Annabeth HOW ARE YOU THAT FLIPPIN' STRONG?!" Connor yells when we watch the challenge of us pulling each other from the poles. I remember the sheer exhaustion I felt with that one.

I only laugh, stuffing four pieces of popcorn into my mouth. I guess we find strength in the times we need it the most. No idea where it comes from just pops up from an emergency stash or something.