5- touch starved

For those of you who can't remember, an Unagi is the creature in the photo.

Zuko's POV

I watch and smile gently when I see Katara set a hand on Aang's shoulder, not hurting him, but comforting him. I smile when Toph punches him to encourage him and Sokka traces some of the arrows on his body. Haru and the other two stand off to the side, offering their support, but aware they are not in the group enough to join in. I let the smile slip off my face and turn to head away, aware I'm even less in the group, as I was the enemy, and feel a little part of my heart throb, sad that I will probably never be touched gently for comfort or any other reason. I don't think the others know, as I try not to talk about my past much, but my father never comforted me. My mother left when I was young and she was the only one to touch me gently. Uncle tried, but he had limits, seeing as the rumors of me being his son and not Ozai's were running around. 

Azula was never soft, even when she was first born, immediately picking on me and being mean. I lean on the wall behind me and watch the tiny camp fire, before gently nudging it, making it bigger so no one has to get up for a while, before leaving the room, heading for my cold, loveless room. I sigh and decide to explore, so I take a few random turns, making sure to keep track of which direction I go, so I can find my way back. I feel the air grow a bit more humid and curiosity encourages me to follow, to find the source, so I happily do. I enter a huge room, and inside are several pillars, surrounding a huge hot spring. I can't say I'm surprised and I smile slightly, aware Uncle would've found and been in this already by the time I got up. He loved his hot baths, and did everything in his power to embarrass me as much as possible, even letting me know he purposely searched them out to get naked and get in.

I shake my head at the image and then turn to leave, only to halt when the water starts moving. I eye it suspiciously, knowing only waterbenders and spirits could move water. I wouldn't be surprised if Katara was trying to drown me, so I jump a little when a gentle water tentacle brushes against my face, along my scar. I blink in surprise, but the tentacle doesn't seem to mind. I take a good look at the water again, and realize what I've done. I found a baby Unagi, a beautiful golden yellow color, making me assume it is a guy. 

"Hi, there, fella. What are you doing in here? Shouldn't you be out in the lakes?"

He locks eyes with me and I suddenly see a wave, rising and rising and carrying me in it and oh, no I'm on the ground slither, hurry don't want to die, ah water.

I blink, and shake my head, before realizing water must've managed to flood high enough up here to abandon this poor creature in this small pool.

"How long have you been here. Can't have been long, or you would've starved by now. But, no floods have happened in a while. Ehh.... well, I'll try and bring you some food."

Alone?

I look up in surprise, before realizing I was right and the baby Unagi is a male. 

"Yes, little one. Alone. I have not been found trustworthy or loveable by any person in quite some time. But, it's nice to know some people know what it's like. I'm Zuko."

Prince..... Zuko? Destroyer of.... Lands?

I blink, not aware that's how I was seen.

"I don't think so? I'm the exiled prince, and barely even that now, as I left willingly and am now a traitor. I am no prince and barely a person. Let me go get you some food. I'll be right back."

I can.... still talk... to you..... long distances....

I smile and nod, knowing this is the way he wants to continue the conversation.