19-spirit

So, I'm really changing it here. Zuko will be born three years earlier than he was in the show, and he's going to be killed at the age of 17, in the Agni Kai,against his father, for the same reasons, and so he dies a good 3 years before the avatar is discovered to be alive. This is basically the same as the show, just the enemies will be aged up, along with Iroh, and the little snippets where Aang sees and occasionally talks to, Zuko.

Zuko's POV

I smile softly from where I sit on a rock, watching this young child try to find something he can never have. I momentarily frown, sad he died so young and sad he has to face the harsh truth, that he couldn't grow older and live longer, but I get it that war has casualties and kids are more often targets. Small and simple, but enough to get a person into a rampage and kill them, or to cause great sorrow to any one family they feel.

The young child finally spots me, and races towards me, tears streaming down his cheeks. He's going to be one of those types, hmm? I open my arms and he jumps into them, burying his face and entire body in me, sobbing and wailing, because he's aware he is dead and won't be seeing any of the ones he loved for a very long time, maybe even never. However, I will become part of his family, along with a great deal of other people.

"Hello young one. Are you ready, or do you need more time?"

"I... I think I'm ready... Who are you?"

"My name is Zuko, young one,and I will be your guide, to where the rest of the children are. They will be your family, until yours finds you, or maybe not. It's all up to you. Now, let's go."

I gently stand and walk across the lovely colored ground, heading toward an area where pure white light and green and laughter can be heard. I keep the children there and protect them as best I can, from the other things that live here. So far, I have not lost a child, and I don't plan to. This young boy, he buries himself deeper into me when he feels the murdeous intent coming from some of the other things that live here, before he sees the white and looks curiously. 

"Is that where we're going? It looks so pretty."

I smile and nod, because the place don't look like much, but it is. The ground is a soft, lush green, and the sky a nice lovely shade of purple blue, while the white comes from the moon, a constant presence in this area. It sets a nice tone and the kids can play whenever they want, sleep whenever they want, I am just here to protect them from the rest of this place, which is less kind. However, I love this place and care for all of these kids.

I bend down and nod to the kid, urging him to go join the others. He hesitates, but let's go of me and settles on the ground. In minutes, he's running around with the other kids, playing and laughing. I smile and then let the power that had been trying to take me away, do just that. When I open my eyes, I'm staring at a kid, the Avatar, I believe is what he is. Still just a kid, and thrust into war so soon, at that. Poor thing. Oh, well, let's see why I was summoned.

"Kid, what are you doing here?"

He jerks and turns to face me, before his grey eyes meet mine and I know he's the avatar. He's got the air bending arrows all over him, or at least what skin I can see, and he isn't trying to hide who he is. 12. So young. I sigh and sit down, waiting for him to either speak or leave. Whatever it comes to. He feels familiar in some kind of way, so maybe I'be helped him somewhere before... why does he spirit energy keep calling me? I recognize it from somewhere.

"I'm the avatar. I just wanted to talk to one of my ancestors. C...can you help me find them?"

I smile, another kid asking for help. Who was I to deny him?